Prestige, Cost, and Fit: What do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dictionaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking everyone for their opinion oin this... so maybe asking a few more people can't hurt.

About a month ago I was accepted to KCOM. I had been dreaming of that for years. I'm a big history buff, love small towns, and it was close to family. I was over the moon on my interview weekend about the place. Loved just walking all over the place. Already looking forward to the cold winters that I've been missing so much in North Carolina.

About two weeks ago I was accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. That's an amazing school with a cool new curriculum and some really interesting 3rd and 4th year options for what I'm interested in most (rural and primary care stuff). It's also CHEAP. I would save about 30k a year. The student body also seems more liberal and happier than at KCOM, frankly.

But... I hate Chapel Hill. I'm trying to like it, but visiting hasn't helped. There are beggars everywhere, and crowds on every street. Driving is impossible with all the traffic. A friend of our'a got robbed there in the middle of the day.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble finishing the original post, but basically the weather and distance from home in NC isn't great either. I don't want to spend four years in a state that I've regretted moving to from the start.. but the cost and the prestige and the curriculum are very tempting.

Where do you see yourself being the most successful? Will you really spend much time roaming the city or will you be spending 80% of your time in the library anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be crazy to pass unc ch for kcom

Reactions: 1 users
I hate DO vs MD debate as much as the next guy, but UNC is an amazing school. Also, the fact that its cheaper already make it a better choice even in a purely financial sense.

Try to get used to the town, it's only 4 years (and maybe you can get out of it for rotations so less). I know location is an important factor, but if thats the only real con, then this isn't even up for debate. It's not like you're stuck there and you won't believe how fast the 4 years will go.

Go to UNC Chapel Hill unless you are damn sure you're not interested in a competitive specialty. If you don't know what you like go to UNC. End of thread.

Location of the med school doesn't matter since you will be studying 25 hrs a day/ 8 days a week for 2 years. You will be indoors most of the time or post exam celebration at a bar. Seriously the only thing that matters in a med school is whether they have an attendance policy, video recorded lectures, and quality 3rd/4th year training locations.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this thread real life? Go to UNC.

Reactions: 2 users
UNC 100%. Great MD school! You can get robbed anywhere in the middle of the day...just bad luck.
PLUS you will save 30k a year! This is a no brainer. Especially if you want primary care.

I couldn't think of a worse way to spend an extra $120,000.

Last edited:
How much do you hate Chapel Hill? Do you get depressed every time you think about spending four years there?

I would honestly not attend an MD school in a really awful location over a DO school in a favorable location. Chapel Hill is not unfavorable to me, so I have a hard time relating. If you feel significantly more comfortable with the area, can see yourself settling there, have more family support within comfortable driving distance, it is not such a crazy stretch to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone must be trolling...

It's hard for me to exaggerate what a negative experience living in NC has been for me and the lack of support systems that I have here. Basically in the space of time between applying to UNC (before I realized very much about the area) and now I've been counting down until I could get out.

Not that anyone here is telling me anything I didn't know... which is that for the money and education UNC is unquestionable. I just can't get over how unhappy the entire environment makes me feel. I know where I'm going, but I like the fantasize about a place with snow and family within a day's drive.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to exaggerate what a negative experience living in NC has been for me and the lack of support systems that I have here.

No question, go to UNC. If you even have a remote desire to want a specialty other than primary care, do yourself a favor and make the road easier. DO is a great option and the schools and people in them are great. However, reality is MD will make the road easier. You may not like the location and feel uncomfortable there, but that's a part of life. At least the people at UNC seem very happy, which is always a good sign. Don't pass up UNC for KCOM.

Having been exactly in the same situation, my advice is avoid like the plague anyplace you'll be miserable in. As my mother would say "God is trying to give you a message!"

I'm asking everyone for their opinion oin this... so maybe asking a few more people can't hurt.

About a month ago I was accepted to KCOM. I had been dreaming of that for years. I'm a big history buff, love small towns, and it was close to family. I was over the moon on my interview weekend about the place. Loved just walking all over the place. Already looking forward to the cold winters that I've been missing so much in North Carolina.

About two weeks ago I was accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill. That's an amazing school with a cool new curriculum and some really interesting 3rd and 4th year options for what I'm interested in most (rural and primary care stuff). It's also CHEAP. I would save about 30k a year. The student body also seems more liberal and happier than at KCOM, frankly.

But... I hate Chapel Hill. I'm trying to like it, but visiting hasn't helped. There are beggars everywhere, and crowds on every street. Driving is impossible with all the traffic. A friend of our'a got robbed there in the middle of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard for me to exaggerate what a negative experience living in NC has been for me and the lack of support systems that I have here. Basically in the space of time between applying to UNC (before I realized very much about the area) and now I've been counting down until I could get out.

Not that anyone here is telling me anything I didn't know... which is that for the money and education UNC is unquestionable. I just can't get over how unhappy the entire environment makes me feel. I know where I'm going, but I like the fantasize about a place with snow and family within a day's drive.
You will not be successful if you are not emotionally stable and unhappy. Money is money and while debt is a big deal so is mental health. If you hate NC that much, no amount of prestige or less debt is going to change that. Go with your heart. Trust me, I dreamed of being a general surgeon forever - got a spot in NYC, thought I could deal with it. I literally could not stop crying all day at "work", went to bed crying, had dreams about crying, woke up crying. Left after one week back to family practice where I was HAPPY. Just did the same thing at a job in Las Vegas. Love Vegas, love urgent care. The job sucked, dreaded getting up and going everyday. Wasn't worth it. I went back to where I was HAPPY.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Having been exactly in the same situation, my advice is avoid like the plague anyplace you'll be miserable in. As my mother would say "God is trying to give you a message!"
ABSOLUTELY!!! Perceived prestige is not worth personal anguish.

I just did not think that someone would entertain the thoughts of choosing KCOM over UNC-Chapel Hill for medical school unless there are MAJOR extenuating circumstances that would make that choice difficult. THIS IS A NO BRAINER CHOICE.

If you want to advance in academic medicine then UNC is the obvious choice. However, becoming a physician allows you the opportunity to make your career whatever you want it to be.
Becoming the best doctor you are capable of is never to credit to the classroom of the prestigious medical schools everyone dreams of learning in. They come through the environments that allow you, as an individual, to flourish and develop into a great clinician. This often comes through years of mentorship from those who not only hold the knowledge but also values and approach that drives you and inspires you to pursue this dream.
UNC will provide you with a world class education but as CabinBuilder said, this means nothing in and of itself. Don't follow the temporary and superficial gratification of prestige for this decision alone unless you have more reason to select this institution/program, in which case, by all means choose UNC! KCOM, may be your better fit, and if it is, don't be afraid to walk through that door. Good luck!

if this was me, i would choose UNC in a heartbeat. Would be nice being in a college type of atmosphere. Sadly, my undergrad so far has not offered that. It is in the city and well if you walk down the wrong way late at night you have a chance of getting jumped, robbed, mugged. I would go to their sports game whenever I can. Then again, man it is all up to you. We cannot make your decision. All we can say is congrats on such an accomplishment of getting into two great medical schools :). Best of luck with your decision.

I would go crazy if I had to live in Kirksville. All my friends that went to Truman state were miserable and ended up traveling to Columbia almost every weekend... I would hate it.. But to each his own. I'm not impressed with their curriculum either. It's not systems based and they have cumulative exams every semester. That's a deal breaker right there.

Beyond all these things, UNC is an MD school that will save you over a hundred grand, save you from wasting time with omm, and save you headache from having to explain why Osteopathic physicians are not inferior. Kcom is a good school, and this is coming from a future osteopathic physician in Missouri. But the choice should be easy. You would have to be crazy to spend that much extra money to go to a less reputable school in the middle of nowhere. That being said, it is your money and your life. Things will work out for you regardless. Good luck with your choice. It might be tough for you but really your problem is a great one to have

Last edited:
UNC 10 times out of 10. Med school is going be hectic and miserable at times no matter where you go. Take the 120k in savings and retire 5-10 years early. Or pay for your child's college. Or buy a house. The less debt you take on now the greater freedom you'll have when it comes to choosing a residency location and, eventually, area of practice.

I have a similar problem... I got accepted into Harvard Medical School and also University of Pikeville. Hard choices ahead of me...

I have a similar problem... I got accepted into Harvard Medical School and also University of Pikeville. Hard choices ahead of me...

Lol

How much do you hate Boston?

Eh I have to agree with cabin and goro on this one. Anyone who has ever worked or went somewhere so soul crushing knows that the temporary nature of it can seem like forever and if it starts to effect your academics no amount of prestige is going to save you. Do what makes you happy, UNC sounds like an amazing place for cost and academics but if you know you will thrive at KCOM go to KCOM. Hurdles are a part of life so don't ever let anyone try to talk you out of something because of the extra mileage :)

Eh I have to agree with cabin and goro on this one. Anyone who has ever worked or went somewhere so soul crushing knows that the temporary nature of it can seem like forever and if it starts to effect your academics no amount of prestige is going to save you. Do what makes you happy, UNC sounds like an amazing place for cost and academics but if you know you will thrive at KCOM go to KCOM. Hurdles are a part of life so don't ever let anyone try to talk you out of something because of the extra mileage :)

Where you go to school will have a huge impact on your speciality, residency, and fellowship options. I think it's better to be miserable for 4 years in med school and be happy for the next 30 years practicing in the field you truely want to be part of. The average UNC grad with average boards will still do better in the match than a super-star DO from KCOM.

Where you go to school will have a huge impact on your speciality, residency, and fellowship options. I think it's better to be
miserable for 4 years in med school and be happy for the next 30 years practicing in the field you truely want to be part of. The average UNC grad with average boards will still do better in the match than a super-star DO from KCOM.

I'm no expert with the match numbers but I think it depends on what you want to do. If he/she wants to match in a exceptional program go with UNC but if they are fine with whatever KCOM can provide I say go there. Matching will probably be harder but then again life is hard so do what you believe you can do and I know this sounds like a naive thing to say (especially with increasingly small match list) but if you've gotten this far in your career your doing something right. Coming from experience saying to yourself this is temporary is easier said then done. Being somewhere you hate can and will have an effect on you which can transfer into your work so I'm probably the one who will always say go for what you want to do.

Talk to any recent graduate from medical school or residency and they will all say the same thing. Cheaper is almost always better. Beyond the fact that UNC is a much better medical school that provides many more opportunities than KCOM... its $120,000 cheaper. Period. The average medical school student loan payment is 2,000 a month. You will be paying $2,000 a month for an extra five years if you go to KCOM. It makes absolutely no sense from a financial standpoint.

I'm having trouble finishing the original post, but basically the weather and distance from home in NC isn't great either. I don't want to spend four years in a state that I've regretted moving to from the start.. but the cost and the prestige and the curriculum are very tempting.
Just tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't let me. Please contact me.