Cost vs Prestige in DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnfortunateTomato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying this cycle and I have recently interviewed at LECOM-E, and have plans to interview at several other schools. However, I don't see another school that is as affordable as LECOM, and from what I have read online a DO degree from any school = a DO degree from any other school (barring newly created/poorly established schools). Are there any reasons that I should not take whatever acceptance I have that has the lowest cost of attendance? And yes, I understand the drawbacks of the required professional dress of LECOM & the required attendance, however, I do not mind the dress code and plan to participate in the DSP pathway.

TLDR: Does it matter where I get my DO from (as long as they are an established school) in regards to getting competitive residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying this cycle and I have recently interviewed at LECOM-E, and have plans to interview at several other schools. However, I don't see another school that is as affordable as LECOM, and from what I have read online a DO degree from any school = a DO degree from any other school (barring newly created/poorly established schools). Are there any reasons that I should not take whatever acceptance I have that has the lowest cost of attendance? And yes, I understand the drawbacks of the required professional dress of LECOM & the required attendance, however, I do not mind the dress code and plan to participate in the DSP pathway.

TLDR: Does it matter where I get my DO from (as long as they are an established school) in regards to getting competitive residencies?

Current OMS4 here. If it comes down to cost for any two schools, look into what's included in tuition before making a decision solely based on finances. Some schools include question banks (which aren't cheap) for boards prep in the cost of tuition, and others don't. The same goes for student health insurance.

As far as residency is concerned, I wouldn't say that every DO school is equivalent. (Google "10 Med Schools That Lead to Top-Choice Residencies" to see the US News and World Report data on this.) I guess it's possible that the schools with higher match rates at #1 choices really try to steer their students away from competitive specialties like derm or non-DO-friendly programs for each specialty. However, with the 23 schools that reported this information, there does appear to be a difference in match rates. That might be worth considering. Hope that answers your question.

In addition to this, consider cost of living in the area around the school. That is huge. I don’t know anything about LECOM-E area though.

Reactions: 1 user
Combination of cost, location, and establishment of school should be considered

Members don't see this ad :)
Also look at schools that actively sponsor/promote GME spots

In general, it does not matter much where you went to medical school. What matters is are you a competitive applicant for that program? That is determined entirely by how hard you work during your first 2 years, what kind of board scores you generate, research projects etc.. Residencies look for all these factors and look closely at interpersonal skills. No residency director wants a resident who constantly irritates everyone around them.Cost is huge, so consider that when applying to schools. Best wishes and Good Luck!

For DO prestige really isn't a thing but establishment definitely is. Usually older programs are better

I interviewed at 3 DO schools last cycle, one of them being LECOM-E. Go on your interviews before you start weighing your options. While LECOM is cheap, I personally didn’t think it offset their archaic regulations. Professional dress is ALWAYS. Even after hours in the library. Even in anatomy lab. Also, they do not allow food or drink outside of the cafeteria, even water. That might seem like a small concession, but pair that with mandatory attendance when you had to wake up an hour early to brave the lake effect snow - you’re going to want something to keep you focused. Also adding that as much as they make it seem like you’ll “choose” your pathway, they very much choose it for you. DSP has a very limited number of spots.

Reactions: 1 users
My school literally costs $80,000 more than LECOM over four years. They barely spend anytime dissecting in anatomy lab, they do half as much omm as my school, and they’re affiliated with more residencies than most DO schools. Go to LECOM if you can tolerate it.

My school is fine, but most of this crap is on you. I thought PBL at LECOM would be terrible. But I wish I didn’t have all these freakin lectures about nothing to try to burn through and had more time to read the books that LECOM students read.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at 3 DO schools last cycle, one of them being LECOM-E. Go on your interviews before you start weighing your options. While LECOM is cheap, I personally didn’t think it offset their archaic regulations. Professional dress is ALWAYS. Even after hours in the library. Even in anatomy lab. Also, they do not allow food or drink outside of the cafeteria, even water. That might seem like a small concession, but pair that with mandatory attendance when you had to wake up an hour early to brave the lake effect snow - you’re going to want something to keep you focused. Also adding that as much as they make it seem like you’ll “choose” your pathway, they very much choose it for you. DSP has a very limited number of spots.
Nothing archaic about being professional. You have to practice like you play in the game, or you wont be able to perform when its time. When you are outside of campus you still represent your school in the community. Their food and water policies are a little OCD I agree. Mandatory lectures are a mixed bag, especially if lecturer is not great. I find it interesting that complaining about getting up for an early lecture is somehow too strenuous, but taking night and weekend call in the future wont be a burden? Maybe you are unrealistic about your life in medicine

Nothing archaic about being professional. You have to practice like you play in the game, or you wont be able to perform when its time. When you are outside of campus you still represent your school in the community. Their food and water policies are a little OCD I agree. Mandatory lectures are a mixed bag, especially if lecturer is not great. I find it interesting that complaining about getting up for an early lecture is somehow too strenuous, but taking night and weekend call in the future wont be a burden? Maybe you are unrealistic about your life in medicine

Not the person you were replying to, but I have a late biological clock so yes to me getting up for an early lecture is very strenuous but nights and weekends are not a burden at all.

Not the person you were replying to, but I have a late biological clock so yes to me getting up for an early lecture is very strenuous but nights and weekends are not a burden at all.
I understand your early clock, but you have to be at the hospital early on weekends as a resident, and during the week. If you have trouble getting up in the morning I would recommend psychiatry or pathology. Best wishes and Good Luck!

Just don't go to AZCOM. I've heard lots of bad things from recent graduates and current students. Don't let yourself end up 400k in debt if you have any choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody gives a *)&$ where you got your DO. Pick the best fit for you and consider selling your soul to uncle sam

Just don't go to AZCOM. I've heard lots of bad things from recent graduates and current students. Don't let yourself end up 400k in debt if you have any choice.
Can you PM what you heard about AZCOM? I can't message you and don't want to derail this thread. Thanks!

Prestige for DO isn't super important. As another poster stated, established DO schools tend to have certain advantages over newer programs. If I could go back in time and give myself advice as to what to look for in a DO program it would be

1)clinical rotations. Are they at decent sites? Will you have to move across the country to do them?
2) board prep. Do they give you time second year for studying for boards? Do they promote and help you get ready for USMLE, or do they just stress comlex?
IMO, these are the two biggest factors for setting you up for your career post med school. And in my experience interviewing at DO programs last year, they can differ significantly in these areas. Due your due diligence at LECOM before ruling out potential other interviews. Good luck!

Can you PM what you heard about AZCOM? I can't message you and don't want to derail this thread. Thanks!
It's ridiculously expensive and they nickel and dime you for everything. They take one of the largest classes because it's the university of phoenix of medical schools, and they happen to be located not too far from the actual university of phoenix, but I guess you can't fault them for that lol. My friends said the quality of lectures is poor and they give you a test every single week which sounds like it sucks. The clinical sites are bad. I've heard the California ones are especially bad but the ones in arizona are slightly better. They have a high mcat average for DO because they take a lot of the California overflow but it's not because it's a competitive or quality program even though people on here seem to think it is. Also about a quarter to a third of the class are mormons from utah and apparently the mormons all stick to themselves, go to class and church together, study together, and won't help you if you're not mormon. Phoenix is also a cultural wasteland. It's an endless sprawl of every chain restaurant you can imagine especially in a suburb like Glendale.

Anyway don't take my word for it. If you get an interview there go out and see it for yourself.

I don't think prestige matters. Choose based on practical factors, which include cost, proximity to friends/family/interesting things to do, how much you'll have to move around for clinical rotations, weather, etc.

I agree with the first bolded statement but I also think it is ridiculous that you have to wear professional clothing all day everyday on campus. You are not seeing patients all the time, mostly it's just school. There is appropriate attire for different situations. Studying in a library in dress pants and dress shirt seems a bit much. In terms of the 2nd bolded part, also true but if I want to run to the grocery store in PJs and a hoodie does that mean I'm not representing my school appropriately? I don't think so.

Of course, if this is a big deal for anyone then obviously don't go to LECOM if you have the choice. If you don't have a choice, well...beggars can't be choosers.

My perspective doesn’t come from a personal distaste for professionalism. It comes from a realistic view of the adult learner’s lifestyle. I’m a very non traditional student, so I do bring a bias to the table. Mandatory attendance does not allow parents, for example, to do the best that they can for their family and their studies. Hardly every student has a traditional background.

As for the dress code, it gave me personally the impression that LECOM cares more about their appearance than the success of their students. With how rampant burnout and loss of empathy are in medical students, I visited more schools who focused on student comfort than professionalism in dress. There are ways to teach and require professionalism outside of wearing a shirt and tie to after hours studying and anatomy lab.

Last edited:
My perspective doesn’t come from a personal distaste for professionalism. It comes from a realistic view of the adult learner’s lifestyle. I’m a very non traditional student, so I do bring a bias to the table. Mandatory attendance does not allow parents, for example, to do the best that they can for their family and their studies. Hardly every student has a traditional background.

As for the dress code, it gave me personally the impression that LECOM cares more about their appearance than the success of their students. With how rampant burnout and loss of empathy are in medical students, I visited more schools who focused on student comfort than professionalism in dress. There are ways to teach and require professionalism outside of wearing a shirt and tie to after hours studying and anatomy lab.
COM's have visitors on campus all of the time, interviews, open house, etc. Professional dress,( and behavior), does reflect on the school and students. Medical school is about what you as a student make of it. It is very stressful and demands much of your time. I have students who have recently give birth and have other children. They are able to make up the work and meet all requirements. It is an individual thing. Medicine is not for everybody. Like in life, you need to adapt to the surroundings, not the other way around. Find the school that is the best fit for you. Best wishes and good luck.

If you want the DO degree and what you care about most is saving money then you are correct. However out of all the DO schools there are 4-5 (+/- a few) that are usually regarded the best and there is a reason for that. At the end of the day all DO students in the US will be doing residency and will prolly say it does not really matter what school you go to (MD students could say the same) but it is my understanding that some schools put you in a better position to succeed. I was not a fan of LECOM because it seemed to have a bad rep but that may be subjective

If you want the DO degree and what you care about most is saving money then you are correct. However out of all the DO schools there are 4-5 (+/- a few) that are usually regarded the best and there is a reason for that. At the end of the day all DO students in the US will be doing residency and will prolly say it does not really matter what school you go to (MD students could say the same) but it is my understanding that some schools put you in a better position to succeed. I was not a fan of LECOM because it seemed to have a bad rep but that may be subjective

If cost is the most important as you say, then LECOM should be on your radar. What is the bad rep? They have decent first time board pass rate, over 90% Go where you feel most comfortable. If LECOM is your only acceptance then you have a choice to make. Go there, sit out a year, post bac, research, etc

I’m at one of “the best” and there’s really nothing magical going on here. LECOM’s, or for that matter any DO schools, rep doesn’t really extend much beyond SDN. Yeah DOs know about my school and in my region those involved in clinical training are familiar with grads from my school. However, that’s the minority of physicians/residency programs. Name of one school over another isn’t enough to justify paying higher tuition in the DO world. In hindsight, I would only pick a more expensive DO school over another if that school was < 10 years old.

I’m at one of “the best” and there’s really nothing magical going on here. LECOM’s, or for that matter any DO schools, rep doesn’t really extend much beyond SDN. Yeah DOs know about my school and in my region those involved in clinical training are familiar with grads from my school. However, that’s the minority of physicians/residency programs. Name of one school over another isn’t enough to justify paying higher tuition in the DO world. In hindsight, I would only pick a more expensive DO school over another if that school was < 10 years old.

I agree OP should go where he feels most comfy, I personally chose against LECOM after visiting, hearing from a lot of students and doing my own research. getting into residency will not be dependent on where you went but how you did. Thats why its more important to think will PBL vs any other learning style help me or other factors. But if I personally cared more about finances I would have chosen LECOM hands down.its rlly important you do strong research on a school before you choose whether it is LECOM or anywhere else.

If the cost diff is $20k total, then choose the best fit. Once you get to $50k+, I would strongly recommend going to the cheapest school. No one cares where you got your MD or DO degree unless you want to be the 0.1% that go into academic medicine and want to be some chair person.

You want to be the chair of Ortho at Hss, well then going to Harvard will probably help you. Going to practice any specialty in any town USA, then no one cares about your DO or MD degree, let alone the school you went to.

In residency interviewee selection, we never looked at schools. My ACGME competitive ortho fellowship PD actually preferred DOs because we had more operative experience. OK rant over. Go to the cheaper school, your less in debt 32 yo self will thank you.