Prestige/reputation of residency program for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VinnytheMeatball

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a prelim who was initially pursuing rads and fell in love with GI on an elective rotation early in intern year. I asked to be released from my rads program and am in the process of obtaining a PGY-2 position. I have been offered a position by the same institution as my prelim year and its a mid-tier university program. I have already made connections with the GI faculty and started a research project. The GI fellowship here though is notorious for not taking their own medicine residents.

However I have been offered a PGY-2 position at a bigger name program which has a more impressive match list particularly in GI and the GI program there tends to take their own. Does brand name of my residency program matter that much for matching into GI? Is it worth going to another program because of the better reputation and historically better match list?

I am a fairly competitive applicant. I am an American grad and scored 250+ on Steps. I have research prior to medical school (first author pubs) but haven't published in the field of GI. Already started on a GI research project during intern year but will likely be third author on paper/poster/abstract.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have to move. Familiar with the hospital and EHR. Significantly lower cost of living. Closer to significant other, whereas other program is closer to family. The GI fellowship here is rather large (6 positions) and they have taken 1 internal resident each in the past 5/7 years (so 5 total). This year (2020 match) residents matched elsewhere however I believe 1-3 went unmatched (I heard it was due to other mitigating circumstances, visa issues, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a prelim who was initially pursuing rads and fell in love with GI on an elective rotation early in intern year. I asked to be released from my rads program and am in the process of obtaining a PGY-2 position. I have been offered a position by the same institution as my prelim year and its a mid-tier university program. I have already made connections with the GI faculty and started a research project. The GI fellowship here though is notorious for not taking their own medicine residents.

However I have been offered a PGY-2 position at a bigger name program which has a more impressive match list particularly in GI and the GI program there tends to take their own. Does brand name of my residency program matter that much for matching into GI? Is it worth going to another program because of the better reputation and historically better match list?

I am a fairly competitive applicant. I am an American grad and scored 250+ on Steps. I have research prior to medical school (first author pubs) but haven't published in the field of GI. Already started on a GI research project during intern year but will likely be third author on paper/poster/abstract.

Yes, the reputation of your residency program matters when it comes to fellowship applications, in 3 major ways. First, reputable programs typically offer good clinical training. Second, reputable programs gives you more exposure to faculty who are leaders in his/her field who can serve as strong letter-writers. Finally, there is a "wow" factor, that diminishes the further you are in your training, but is nevertheless important to people making decisions which candidates to take.

With that being said, "reputation" of your program will not get into any program. Other aspects of your application (i.e. research, LORs, personal statement, clinical interest, other things that make you unique) matter much more.

Reactions: 1 users
I would go to a better named program and give myself the best chance. You may have better exposure to well known people in the field, better connections to other institutions, “better” research opportunities.

When all else being equal, a named brand still worth a little more.

Reactions: 1 user
No brainer...go to the program that is going to give you the best shot at getting the fellowship you want...you can always move back home after you are done.

With your scores and AMG status you should be fine to match *somewhere* unless you have some red flags or personality issues that you haven’t mentioned (IMO). Current program being close to your significant other seems like it may be overlooked or under-appreciated by some in this thread but only you can really answer that.

Disclaimer: I’m not a GI nor on a fellowship committee

did u bail on rads before the oct 15 deadline? or do u have to show up for the first 45 days to your rads program?

Hard choice and really depends on how eager you are to stay where you are and your significant others situation. I think only you can answer that. Seems like staying where you are will be a gamble and in 2 years you may have to move for GI fellowship. Or you can move now and have a better chance at staying in one place for years 2 through 6.

If you are an AMG with those scores and no red flags you should match GI with minimal research / case presentation effort.

If I were you I would ask the GI fellows that stay in house or ask the GI PD him/herself what they think. You are assuming that your program only takes 1 in house fellow per year but maybe it is that most are choosing to leave.

Residency program matters a lot. Especially for the competitive fellowships like cardiology and GI. It matters less if you want to be a hospitalist or an outpatient general internist. It also matters because clinical training tends to be stronger at the stronger programs. You're going to be pushed more by attendings and your co-residence will be smarter, making you work harder.

From a not that strong residency program, you may not match. From a strong residency program it is almost unheard of people not matching into fellowships. The path of least resistance is often the wrong choice. It also seems like your GI program is less enthusiastic about your residents. wouldn't it be a pity if you gave up radiology and didn't match GI.

Beyond that, it also matters for getting a job. Going to a big name program makes people impressed and opens the doors for strong job offers. I can tell you my Job will not consider applicants unless they went to very strong medicine and cardiology training. Mid or upper mid tier training won't get a job interview.

Reactions: 1 user