Pretty important decision -- I need opinions/advice

Started by Fishey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fishey

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow I noticed I've been posting so many questions here in the span of a few days. Thanks everyone for being so helpful <3
Anyway, I have a few questions regarding a rather complicated decision. I'm just thinking about it though.

So I've been volunteering at this vet hospital in my hometown for almost a week now and I feel like I've really gotten hands-on experience and exposure to every part of working at a vet hospital. I originally applied to be a veterinary assistant but was rejected and offered a seasonal volunteer position because I wouldn't be able to work consistently since I have to go back for fall and spring semester for college (undergrad) that's an hour away.

However, the vet who is also one of the owners there kept telling me that they wish they could hire me because they feel like I'm a good fit there and I learn pretty fast. He said if I transfer to a school back in my hometown he would offer me a job here and that I would get great experience.

I'm conflicted because I really love volunteering here. I've been learning so much and the people here are very eager to teach me things and they are super kind. The problem is that I am just about to move into my new apartment back at school with my friend/roommate mid-summer so I don't just want to live there for a year and ditch her. I also feel like it would be a lot of work to transfer to another school.
At the same time, I don't want to be missing out on this great opportunity with this vet hospital I'm currently volunteering for.
I volunteer once a week at another vet clinic during the school year but I feel like I'm not learning too much there. It's much slower and I don't feel that comfortable yet since I only go once a week compared to 5 days a week at the one in my hometown. I can't go volunteer/work at another vet clinic while I'm at school either because I do not have a car and the area around my school is very hard to get around without one because the public transportation system is so poor. However in my hometown, public transportation is great and can take you all over.

Pros of transferring:
  • I get more experience & hours + a job offer
  • They have a pre-vet club
  • I save a lot of money
  • I can get around easier

Cons of transferring:
  • Leaving behind a best friend, good study partner, and roommate
  • Having my own apartment just to leave it after a year

1. What are your opinions on this situation? Is it worth transferring?
2. What would you do?

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
  • I save a lot of money

This. I would weight this heavily.

That being said, having good experience is extremely valuable, but the biggest thing you need to focus on is grades. If moving back home and working during school would compromise your grades, you'd need to consider that too. All the experience in the world won't do you any good if you don't have the grades to get into vet school where you can apply it. I have a ton of great experience, and while it's been extremely beneficial to me in vet school, the trade off was that I had to work extremely hard to get here because I had sacrificed grades for paid positions that would give me experience.

Ultimately though, you need to make the best decision for yourself.
 
I don't even understand your thinking....
Unless you want to change for academic reasons ...or financial if you are in a bind...don't even consider it.

Moving because you like a potential part time job? No. Getting experience is necessary for applying, and it is great to pick up as much as you can before vet school, but it is a means to an end....and shouldn't be driving your decision making I your life,

I just can't see making such a big change based on where you get vet experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it was me, I'd stay put and think about finding a different vet clinic to shadow at when I was at school (or ridealong, or shelter med or other opportunity). Like SOV, I wouldn't pick up and leave for a part time job
 
I don't even understand your thinking....
Unless you want to change for academic reasons ...or financial if you are in a bind...don't even consider it.

Moving because you like a potential part time job? No. Getting experience is necessary for applying, and it is great to pick up as much as you can before vet school, but it is a means to an end....and shouldn't be driving your decision making I your life,

I just can't see making such a big change based on where you get vet experience.
Yeah, it does seem pretty drastic. I am just concerned about the quality of vet experience since I don't do too much at the clinic at school compared to the one I'm volunteering at at home. I also am concerned about the amount of hours I'll be getting since I only volunteer once a week at the clinic near my school. Thanks for your honesty 🙂
 
If it was me, I'd stay put and think about finding a different vet clinic to shadow at when I was at school (or ridealong, or shelter med or other opportunity). Like SOV, I wouldn't pick up and leave for a part time job
It's just difficult finding the time in my schedule to do that because public transportation is very limited around my school so I have to factor in the extra time it takes to bus to places. Although I am thinking about volunteering at a spay and neuter clinic at an animal shelter during the school year. Thanks for your opinion 🙂
 
Yeah, it does seem pretty drastic. I am just concerned about the quality of vet experience since I don't do too much at the clinic at school compared to the one I'm volunteering at at home. I also am concerned about the amount of hours I'll be getting since I only volunteer once a week at the clinic near my school. Thanks for your honesty 🙂
What are you real concerns..
1) TBH, vet schools don't really care about "quality of experience", and what they are concerned with is probably not what you think. They want to make sure students come in knowing what they are getting themselves into, are interested in medicine, and will see it through. They don't care (for the most part) what particulars you do there, just that you have a chance to have that exposure. They expect you to pick some stuff as an observant individual, but nothing particular. That is why some people volunteer/shadow, some work etc. Don't get caught up in that FOR THE SAKE OF SCHOOL. Now, if you want to develop skills, that makes sense, but again... it is not really what this is about.

2) What year are you in school? Once a week during school year combined with a few summers should give you PLENTY of hours. In 2 summers you should be able to get probably 800 hours, plus 5 hours a week outside of summers during the school year = roughly 400 hours over 2 years. I think 1200 hours from a full time student is pretty reasonable. Not the least, not the most. Just right. Even 1/2 that and you would have more than me (although I wasn't traditional).
 
What are you real concerns..
1) TBH, vet schools don't really care about "quality of experience", and what they are concerned with is probably not what you think. They want to make sure students come in knowing what they are getting themselves into, are interested in medicine, and will see it through. They don't care (for the most part) what particulars you do there, just that you have a chance to have that exposure. They expect you to pick some stuff as an observant individual, but nothing particular. That is why some people volunteer/shadow, some work etc. Don't get caught up in that FOR THE SAKE OF SCHOOL. Now, if you want to develop skills, that makes sense, but again... it is not really what this is about.

2) What year are you in school? Once a week during school year combined with a few summers should give you PLENTY of hours. In 2 summers you should be able to get probably 800 hours, plus 5 hours a week outside of summers during the school year = roughly 400 hours over 2 years. I think 1200 hours from a full time student is pretty reasonable. Not the least, not the most. Just right. Even 1/2 that and you would have more than me (although I wasn't traditional).

Yeah I don't see how you could reasonably quantify quality of experience anyway. It doesn't help that state regulations are very different so some kids have been techs doing it all since they were sixteen, and others are barely allowed to touch an animal without being a licensed tech and are limited to mostly shadowing. SOV is right, they don't expect you coming in with an arsenal of proficiencies and knowledge, the point is so you actually understand what you're signing up for to be a veterinarian.

And to second number two. Hours add up faster than you think. I started undergrad with 0 vet experience and managed to (without too much difficulty) rack up a few hundred hours in those two years before submitting my VMCAS. You got time, just make the most of your summers.
 
School comes first. You can always get veterinary experience but academics, once they're on your record, they are on. If you enjoy the school you are currently attending, I would definitely not switch. If you transfer, not all of your credits may, so you may be behind by a semester/quarter. In addition, it's difficult to find time to have a part-time job and focus on school.