previously attended a US medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

boxoffice2

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it hard to get accepted into a big four carrib med school if you previously attended a US medical school, but withdrew? If a carrib med school did accept you, would you be adversly affected in the residency match or do they not care about whether you previously attended a us school or not? I assume the NRMP would have access to info on all students from the aamc or somewhere.
 
There have been people who have done this and it won't make a big difference, although you will have to explain the reasons in an interview for residency (possibly).
 
Is it hard to get accepted into a big four carrib med school if you previously attended a US medical school, but withdrew? If a carrib med school did accept you, would you be adversly affected in the residency match or do they not care about whether you previously attended a us school or not? I assume the NRMP would have access to info on all students from the aamc or somewhere.

IMGs and FMGs are looked negatively upon during the match by most programs, so going to a carib school will definitely effect your residency placement. You should try getting back into that US med school from which you withdrew, for the best shot at achieving your full potential in the match.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually when people say they "withdrew" it means they were forced out.
 
Usually when people say they "withdrew" it means they were forced out.

Basically I was forced out, kinda like giving a gentleman a gun with one bullet before sending him off to a life sentence in the tower of london.

However, I was NOT expelled or subject to any disciplinary action (although I probably would have been had I not "voluntarily" withdrew).

WHen I apply, should I report that I went to a US med school (one carib marketing person said that if I didn't complete any classes in med school, I technically didn't attend med school in the US)

EDIT: I kinda feel uncomfortable with the advice the marketing person gave me

It is a bad situation, and I want to be honest and do what is right while optimizing my chances for following my dream of becoming a doctor.
 
ohh well in that case... i guess you can't go back..


OP, if you were good enough to get into a US school you'll be good enough to get into any Carib school.

Statistically, I am a shoe-in at a carib school, but I think it would be sticky if they ask questions about my withdrawl.
 
Statistically, I am a shoe-in at a carib school, but I think it would be sticky if they ask questions about my withdrawl.

Unless they have some sort of disciplinary committee records, it is your word about why you left. It could be a million different reasons, but it has to be a good one and that should be good enough.
 
I don't think carib schools check all their applicants if they applied or got into other med schools. I think it asks that on the application but you can just leave that out.. If you want the best chance for getting into SGU or other good carib school then i would fallow the marketing person's advice and don't just keep my mouth shut. later on the residency programs might look into your past a little more and that's when you'd ahve some explaining to do, but i think Carib schools just want your money, but depending on how ever qualified you are they might think something is fishy that this guy is applying to carib schools when he can easily get into a US school..

also since you weren't kicked out there's a good chance that there's nothing on your record at your med school so then you can just make up a story of why you left. I think when SGU kicks people out it doesn't really put anything on their record because those people transfer to othe carib schools without a problem.
 
OP, First of all, caribbean schools want your money and to know that you have a good chance of graduating ( so that their numbers don' look bad with attrition) If you explain why now you are ready to complete your studies, they really would not care less..
 
I don't think carib schools check all their applicants if they applied or got into other med schools. I think it asks that on the application but you can just leave that out.. If you want the best chance for getting into SGU or other good carib school then i would fallow the marketing person's advice and don't just keep my mouth shut. later on the residency programs might look into your past a little more and that's when you'd ahve some explaining to do, but i think Carib schools just want your money, but depending on how ever qualified you are they might think something is fishy that this guy is applying to carib schools when he can easily get into a US school..

also since you weren't kicked out there's a good chance that there's nothing on your record at your med school so then you can just make up a story of why you left. I think when SGU kicks people out it doesn't really put anything on their record because those people transfer to othe carib schools without a problem.
Yes I agree but if you are asked on the App or during the interview you must tell the truth, if you lie then you are screwed if caught.
 
it shows more maturity if someone tells the truth and admits learning from their mistakes. As long as you apply and be honest about what is on your record you should be okay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically I was forced out, kinda like giving a gentleman a gun with one bullet before sending him off to a life sentence in the tower of london.

However, I was NOT expelled or subject to any disciplinary action (although I probably would have been had I not "voluntarily" withdrew).

WHen I apply, should I report that I went to a US med school (one carib marketing person said that if I didn't complete any classes in med school, I technically didn't attend med school in the US)

EDIT: I kinda feel uncomfortable with the advice the marketing person gave me

It is a bad situation, and I want to be honest and do what is right while optimizing my chances for following my dream of becoming a doctor.

Caribbean schools will not care, and this is TERRIBLE advice from the marketing guy. Tell the school, turn it into a positive, and prepare to use that positive for your residency interviews - when it WILL matter! Never lie or hide anything, it WILL come up!