Primary App and Secondary Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlander11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question far in advance but I would appreciate any and all advice...

I am planning to apply to Med School this upcoming summer (2021) for the '21-22 cycle and am taking the MCAT in January of 2021. With that being said...

Will anything I do this summer (2021) show up on my primary application? (I am pretty sure the answer is no). If my experience this summer would not show up on my primary app, could it be a talking point in secondaries/interviews? How necessary is it to send my secondary applications in immediately after I receive them? Is there any advantage to doing them ASAP? Will my summer be booked by completing secondaries or can I wait until after summer? Would it be a bad idea to commit to something for the entirety of this summer (camp counselor, internship, etc.)?

I apologize for all of the questions and appreciate any help. Thank you SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question far in advance but I would appreciate any and all advice...

I am planning to apply to Med School this upcoming summer (2021) for the '21-22 cycle and am taking the MCAT in January of 2021. With that being said...

Will anything I do this summer (2021) show up on my primary application? (I am pretty sure the answer is no). If my experience this summer would not show up on my primary app, could it be a talking point in secondaries/interviews? How necessary is it to send my secondary applications in immediately after I receive them? Is there any advantage to doing them ASAP? Will my summer be booked by completing secondaries or can I wait until after summer? Would it be a bad idea to commit to something for the entirety of this summer (camp counselor, internship, etc.)?

I apologize for all of the questions and appreciate any help. Thank you SDN.
1. What do you mean "will it show up"? Nothing shows up on your application unless you enter it. Having said that, you can (and I believe, should) enter your upcoming activities into AMCAS.
2. This cycle was delayed, but normal cycles AMCAS will transmit to schools by June 1st, you will receive secondaries from then onwards. But you can (and should) pre-write as many secondaries as possible.
3. Some secondaries come with a deadline of like 2 to 4 weeks. Most are "expected" within 2 weeks. If you delay it, schools may still take it, but you will be disadvantaging yourself in the race.
4. You should commit to something full-time and meaningful because that is also part of your application.
Note: I am just another applicant.

Reactions: 1 user