Primary application (put double major?)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moto_za, Apr 18, 2007.

1. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,
    I am planning on applying to med school this year and have been registered for two majors since my freshman year. I have been mostly been keeping up with only one of them. I talked to an advisor at school and he said to just mention both majors in my primary even though I am not sure or will not be completing both. Should I list both or just one in this case? I am thinking if I dont get into med school the first time I will complete both, but if I do I will just focus on one major. Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated? thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

anyone please?

4. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i really dont think a double major does much, but might as well put it down.

5. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

sounds good, thank you

6. estairella

estairella Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am in a very similar situation. I plan to put down only 1 major (might be able to pull off the minor in another) when I apply this cycle, because then I will be able to say I can graduate with a Bachelor's before matriculation into medical school.

If I don't get in then the next cycle I will say I will complete a double major. The reason is that I don't want to be viewed upon negatively because I won't have a Bachelor's degree by the time I matriculate with both majors (since I will need to take an extra year to complete 4th year reqs for the 2nd one). I also don't plan on lying and suggesting I could complete both in this year (esp. since I'll be applying to my own university, and they'll like... know. :laugh: )

7. moto_za

moto_za Member
    10+ Year Member

your case is similiar to mine and i think it just might hurt to say two if I dont actually complete them

8. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Actually, don't put anything down that you are not certain you will complete.

When you get your acceptance letters, almost 100% of them will read:

"Your acceptance is contigent upon the satisfactory completion of your academic program (as stated on your application)."

So if you say you were majoring in Business, Biology, Greek and Russian Literature, you better have a diploma that reads all four. Don't shoot yourself in the foot for that.

9. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup:

10. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, safer to put down one. If you end up completing two before the end of the cycle, or at least decide to, you can always send update letters.

11. Dooooom

Dooooom Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    put one down unless you are 50% sure you are gonna finish the 2nd one then put the 2nd down also.