Primary Care Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suppose it does lol . However This whole thread was mostly tongue in cheek about the bad behavior that many patients exhibit. See all those likes and reactions my posts got?

Yet my approach is not “five minutes are up find yourself a new doctor .” Mine is okay let me sift through this crap for the (potential) benefit of my patient .
If this is really just a "crazy things patients do" then fair enough. I was reading this as a "reasons why more people don't do primary care" in which case explaining why many of us don't have the experience is worth doing.

And I'm not going to fire someone for complaining about copays for labs I warned them about, but I'm not going to spend more than a handful of minutes on it and if its still an issue I'll tell them to call their insurance company and/or my billing department and move on with my day whether or not they're done complaining to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
actually many of these things I have listed apply to outpatient medicine in general for any specialty. many internal medicine graduates prefer inpatient medicine vs outpatient medicine (at least earlier on in their careers). But these kind of nuisances are probably a major reason why.

But nuisances can be put up with and mentally circumvented provided the income / effort ratio (which is rather low in a salaried employed primary care job and can get rather high when you open your own private practice) is acceptable to the physician.

Those post-residency starting GIM jobs as part of a hospital employed system can be quite brutal. In NYC you start at 150K and you see 15-20 patients per day while dealing with 1-23 of what I listed. brutal.

you open a private practice, see your own patients as frequently as necessary, get to know them better, 1-23 gets dissipated over the visits. a bitter pill is easier to swallow when its diluted thoroughly in water.

Those post-residency starting GIM jobs as part of a hospital employed system can be quite brutal. In NYC you start at 150K and you see 15-20 patients per day while dealing with 1-23 of what I listed. brutal.
Yes, well , this is one in the bizillion reasons not to live in nyc…

Members don't see this ad :)
meh still better than Los Angeles and Chicago IMO. One can fill in the blanks about the subtext for him/herself.

@NewYorkDoctors ... lol! These are spot on! I'm a relatively new attending still, and sometimes I feel all that crud is unique to me and I gotta work harder to improve. It helps to hear that others experience the same thing.

Not to dispute the frustrating parts of primary care, but the NYC systems are paying about 75-100k more than that these days before production, at least in Manhattan.

H+H is still sitting at an unpleasant 160k a year though.

Reactions: 1 users
there are some fairly Cush GIM jobs in certain health systems . Take the northwell health system that’s flush with cash. A colleague graduated residency and did a “GIM fellowship “ for one year and started an academic GIM position . Gets called an assistant professor (nice ) teaches residents in clinic and precepts the clinic patients , has a personal panel of maybe 7 patients a day as attending , teaches the med students at the med school , started at 220k up to 250 now after five years , M-F only , no weekend no hospital ,has full PCMH set up and ancilllary staff to boot . Not a bad gig . Better than nephrology lol

there are some fairly Cush GIM jobs in certain health systems . Take the northwell health system that’s flush with cash. A colleague graduated residency and did a “GIM fellowship “ for one year and started an academic GIM position . Gets called an assistant professor (nice ) teaches residents in clinic and precepts the clinic patients , has a personal panel of maybe 7 patients a day as attending , teaches the med students at the med school , started at 220k up to 250 now after five years , M-F only , no weekend no hospital ,has full PCMH set up and ancilllary staff to boot . Not a bad gig . Better than nephrology lol

I'm a subspecialty fellow but still get many recruiting emails from the days when I was considering striking out as general IM with a particular niche. I get many, many emails about offers for 450k with 4-day workweeks - and many of those are within health systems, not PPs. For those who can enact efficient flow, general IM seems too have caught up.

I'm a subspecialty fellow but still get many recruiting emails from the days when I was considering striking out as general IM with a particular niche. I get many, many emails about offers for 450k with 4-day workweeks - and many of those are within health systems, not PPs. For those who can enact efficient flow, general IM seems too have caught up.
Probably at a less urban area perhaps ? Either way nice Cush job then. As long as there is good subspecialty support , radiology , laboratory and pharmacy that are easily accessible then GIM is not a bad gig at all .

Probably at a less urban area perhaps ? Either way nice Cush job then. As long as there is good subspecialty support , radiology , laboratory and pharmacy that are easily accessible then GIM is not a bad gig at all .

Yeah, I excluded NYC and Cali from my search criteria. Your colleague's path makes no sense unless he/she was geographically-bound for personal reasons.

Yeah, I excluded NYC and Cali from my search criteria. Your colleague's path makes no sense unless he/she was geographically-bound for personal reasons.

Right . This individual is from an underrepresented group in healthcare and desired to help the community health of said underrepresented group in nyc . So there’s that .