Primary Care Job - Saturated Cities!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any cities currently saturated for primary care jobs for those boarded in internal medicine or family medicine? What about for the IM sub-specialties gastroenterology, cardiology, hematology/oncology, critical care/pulmonary, nephrology, or allergy/immunology? Can you pretty much pick your city for primary care or are jobs harder to come by in certain cities like LA or NYC? Also, what is the expected salary for LA or NYC in primary care? What is the expected salary in the IM sub-specialties listed or a range for LA or NYC? Any knowledge about this you could share would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to work in LA or NYC.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No first-hand experience looking for jobs but I can tell you that recruitment stuff I gets slants heavily towards primary card and includes major cities (Boston, Seattle, SF etc). I don't get as many hospitalist offers and almost invariably those that I do get are from rural areas.

Do you ever see NYC or LA in your recruiting stuff? I didn't mention this in my initial post but I was wondering about job availability for hospitalist jobs as well in major cities like LA and NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you ever see NYC or LA in your recruiting stuff? I didn't mention this in my initial post but I was wondering about job availability for hospitalist jobs as well in major cities like LA and NYC.

Off the top of my head I think I've seen Kaiser in LA but can't recall ever seeing NYC. But of course that doesn't mean there are no jobs available; recruiting is just the tip of the iceberg.

You'll be able to find something in a saturated city but it won't pay well relative to the cost of living and will have bad hours/patient load. These areas are picked clean so all of the patients with private insurance and money are already established elsewhere but there is always a line of Medicare/Medicaid out the door that need to be seen for less than it costs to run the clinic.

Reactions: 2 users
Jobs are plenty, but the pay is docked in comparison to going outside the saturated city. Still, you can make a pretty penny. People in LA area doing PCP still making 300k working 4.5 days a week

What are salaries in Manhattan? Are they really low for FM/IM?

What are salaries in Manhattan? Are they really low for FM/IM?

Probably the worst in the country on average, save for possibly Boston. But skewed by the fact that there's an enormous amount of universities, hospitals, etc. Simply put even in PP unless you're working for yourself you're gonna be hit by the saturation. It's not unusual for hospitalists in NY to be making 20-30% less.

So are we talking 215K for IM/FM or more like 180K? Or are those numbers off for Manhattan? Are there even jobs available in Manhattan or is it too saturated?

So are we talking 215K for IM/FM or more like 180K? Or are those numbers off for Manhattan? Are there even jobs available in Manhattan or is it too saturated?

I would check out the AAFP careers site periodically. A quick perusal of NYC jobs show that there are quite a few jobs in NYC/Manhattan/Brooklyn, and that almost all pay well above 200K. The exception is a community health center, which is offering 180-200K, but they're generally about 20K-60K under what nearby private practices are paying. Do you speak any other languages? Being multi-lingual in a city like Manhattan can be a big plus.

Reactions: 1 user