zinjanthropus

15+ Year Member
May 31, 2003
FL
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello
I am beginning medical school next year and I'm fairly set on primary care (general preventive medicine). I would like to apply for a primary care loan - do I need to actively do anything to apply for this or with the school's financial aid office let me know what to do? Do I need to notify them that I am interested in primary care and therefore would like to apply for the loan? When is the deadline? Thanks.

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2001
Portland, OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It is something you apply for separately. Check here for information and then go talk to your financial aid office.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My school said that it is best to wait until your 3rd or 4th year before you apply for a special loan. That way if you decide to go a different route, or if for some reason you don't finish school, you won't be stuck with the penalties for taking the money. Most of the programs will pay for the loans you have already taken out as you have been in school.

Some penalties are very steep!!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about 100% penalties for what you have borrowed if you don't complete their program.

About the Ads

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2001
Portland, OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Or worse. If you do not complete your NHSC contract you must pay back triple what they gave you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by mpp
Or worse. If you do not complete your NHSC contract you must pay back triple what they gave you.

I thought I remembered seeing that triple penatly but I couldn't remember where. I am glad you posted that. Could you imagine paying back 3 times what you borrowed. Definetly a great reason to look before you leap into the free money pile.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.