Primary Care Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinjanthropus

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am beginning medical school next year and I'm fairly set on primary care (general preventive medicine). I would like to apply for a primary care loan - do I need to actively do anything to apply for this or with the school's financial aid office let me know what to do? Do I need to notify them that I am interested in primary care and therefore would like to apply for the loan? When is the deadline? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It is something you apply for separately. Check here for information and then go talk to your financial aid office.

My school said that it is best to wait until your 3rd or 4th year before you apply for a special loan. That way if you decide to go a different route, or if for some reason you don't finish school, you won't be stuck with the penalties for taking the money. Most of the programs will pay for the loans you have already taken out as you have been in school.

Some penalties are very steep!!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about 100% penalties for what you have borrowed if you don't complete their program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or worse. If you do not complete your NHSC contract you must pay back triple what they gave you.

Originally posted by mpp
Or worse. If you do not complete your NHSC contract you must pay back triple what they gave you.

I thought I remembered seeing that triple penatly but I couldn't remember where. I am glad you posted that. Could you imagine paying back 3 times what you borrowed. Definetly a great reason to look before you leap into the free money pile.