Primary care shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered in a hospital, shadowed a sleep doctor, but haven't "shadowed" a primary care physician. However, I volunteer at free health screenings with a doctor and take vitals, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc and observe as she does free health consultations with patients. Is this sufficient or should I shadow my pediatrician for a few hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I've volunteered in a hospital, shadowed a sleep doctor, but haven't "shadowed" a primary care physician. However, I volunteer at free health screenings with a doctor and take vitals, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc and observe as she does free health consultations with patients. Is this sufficient or should I shadow my pediatrician for a few hours?

Porque no los dos?

You're fine. Shadowing primary care is not required and not having any isn't a red flag.

Shadowing primary care is not required and not having any isn't a red flag.
. . . except at some schools, particularly if they avow a primary care focus.
If you make a note in the narrative box for Shadowing that, "In addition to the above listed total hours I directly observed an Internist Julie Lopez while volunteering in xxx clinic for 20% of XX hours. (listed elsewhere). Contact: etc." then you should be fine. Just don't double list the hours.