Primary Care Sports Medicine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a lot of information on Primary Care Sports Medicine fellowships. Can anyone please share some information on the good programs out there, how competitive they are, and how I can build up a good application given that my program does not have a sports medicine fellowship?
Also, I am more interested in learning more about managing musculoskeletal problems, not neccesarilty just in atheletes, and I am not that interested in being a physician to a sports team ( but maybe a Ballet team).
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I am more interested in learning more about managing musculoskeletal problems, not neccesarilty just in atheletes, and I am not that interested in being a physician to a sports team ( but maybe a Ballet team).

You might be interested in the work of the Performing Arts Medicine Association and of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and its Special Interest Section in Arts Medicine. You might also consider residency training with eligibility for board certification in occupational medicine: three years notionally, one the general clinical PGY-1 you'd have met already, one an academic year for an MPH or equivalent, and one year of residency in occupational medicine categorically.

I couldn't find a lot of information on Primary Care Sports Medicine fellowships. Can anyone please share some information on the good programs out there, how competitive they are, and how I can build up a good application given that my program does not have a sports medicine fellowship?
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

PCSM is one of the best kept secrets in family medicine. Find a mentor, either faculty, community private practice doc, or a former resident/fellow to guide you through it. You don't need a fellowship at your residency program to be successful.

Start here: http://www.newamssm.org/Residents-Students.html

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be interested in the work of the Performing Arts Medicine Association and of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and its Special Interest Section in Arts Medicine. You might also consider residency training with eligibility for board certification in occupational medicine: three years notionally, one the general clinical PGY-1 you'd have met already, one an academic year for an MPH or equivalent, and one year of residency in occupational medicine categorically.

Wow! That link is great ( Performing Arts) . How come I never knew about this? Guess I am just coming out of the med school tunnel :D
Thanks so much!

Is there much demand for primary care sports medicine, and I'm assuming they earn about the same as their family medicine counterparts?

Also, do sports medicine physicians ever assist with surgeries?

Why? "Assisting with surgery" typically equates to zero reimbursement. Spend your time more wisely.

Actually I was more interested in having my other questions answered. Any insight?

PCSM docs usually do not assist in surgery, unless they want to of course...then again they don't really need to be wasting time in the OR. What percentage of orthopaedic/musculoskeletal conditions actually need operative intervention...the vast majority do NOT...

And when you get to clinicals, you will begin to realize the value of 9-5 hours and lower stress, especially when you think about what you see yourself doing at age 50...

Yes and no. Some PSCM docs do first assist in surgeries. Some do it for their patients, some do it for others' patients, some only do it for their athletes. Others/most do not.

Like everything & anything in family medicine, it depends on your set up and your interest.

Some ortho (sports med or not) like to partner with a primary person they know and trust. Some FM's will serve as the admitting or the general medicine consultant in the hospital. These are generally your trauma's and total joints which require hospital stay.

Most sports med surgical cases are outpatient. And most SM-ortho's will be part of an ortho group that has an outpatient surgery center, hooked up to PT and radiology. If you want to first assist in cases, the set up that makes sense is if your office is next to the surgery center. You can have your office in the hospital plaza, but like people said above, it may not make sense to block off a surgical day just to do first assist with the surgeons... mainly because you can otherwise make more money seeing patients in clinic (you know, the clinic where you pay rent...)

The slickest set up I've seen is a PCSM who works for an ortho group that has an adjacent surgery center. The PCSM bills as first assist in preparing the ACL graft, while the ortho creates the tunnel. A typically hamstring graft takes 15 minutes to prepare. The PCSM is paged to the OR out of clinic when the graft has been harvested. And leaves when his job's done. $200 for 15 mins. First assist fee is generally 20% of the procedure (ACL is $1000). Just for context, a 15-30 min office visit can go for $50-100 and a shoulder/knee injection can go for $50-70. If you assist the entire case... say for 1 hour to 2 hours max, your assist fee goes down to $25-50 per 15 mins...

The other advantage in doing 1st assist is that, if you're a new PSCM doc in town trying to establish yourself, you can 1st assist to keep the lights on until you build your practice. Most PCSM docs in private practice will do general primary care, do urgent care and self-refer, and/or do inpatient medicine until their practice is up and running. 1st assisting is another alternative for fast, easy cash with no follow ups. You get a chance to get to know the surgeons in town, get their referrals, maybe even take care of some of their inpatient general medicine consults/admits.

The other set up that makes it possible to 1st assist would be in an academic setting where there's time protected for you to do whatever you want. And if you're employed by the university to take care of its collegiate athletes, it would be your own athletes.

I would caution you that your competition are the midlevels, PA's in particular who assist in surgery in the absence of a primary care assist. So, if you're interested, you need to (re-)build your skills to be able to compete. The other thing to realize is that surgeons generally prefer to have the same surgical team for their cases (assists, scrub tech, circ nurses) etc. So if you're thinking of doing this, you should commit yourself to it.

The ACS, AAOS, & AAFP policy statement states that whenever possible, a physician should be the one doing the 1st assist. The surgical societies keep their policy statements vague in order to leave room for PA's to serve as 1st assist. The audience really is the insurance company. So make sure that the insurance company will pay you for your work.

If the set up is right and the numbers make sense, do it. Most people don't, because as Blue Dog and TheThom stated, the numbers don't make sense... but it can.

Last edited:
Actually I was more interested in having my other questions answered. Any insight?

None of the sports med guys I know assist in surgery. They have high-volume, referral-based, procedure-heavy practices, and earn around 25-30% more than the average primary care physician in our group.

None of the sports med guys I know assist in surgery. They have high-volume, referral-based, procedure-heavy practices, and earn around 25-30% more than the average primary care physician in our group.

How does a new doctor go about setting this up? I understand the high-volume can come with time, and the referral-base can have to do with your likability and convincing your colleagues about your competence. But how do you structure your practice to be procedure-heavy? Also, can you increase your "procedure repertoire" by becoming certified beyond fellowship? One more question - how does location (metropolitan vs. suburban) factor into success as a sports med physician?

How does a new doctor go about setting this up?

Dunno. It would be challenging, I'm sure.

Our guys work with our ortho group, so their practice is already referral-based. The "procedure-heavy" aspect comes with the job. They also serve as team physicians for some of the local colleges.

I'm not really sure that the metro vs. suburban thing really matters much; the biggest issue would be competition from other orthopaedic groups. They all want to do "sports medicine" nowadays. I think you could use that to your advantage by emphasizing a more conservative, non-surgical approach to treatment (when appropriate, of course). Not everyone is all that anxious to have surgery, and when you go to a surgeon, odds are they'll recommend surgery. Birds fly, fish swim, and surgeons operate.

Can you elaborate on your "best kept secret" comment? thx

PCSM is one of the best kept secrets in family medicine. Find a mentor, either faculty, community private practice doc, or a former resident/fellow to guide you through it. You don't need a fellowship at your residency program to be successful.

Start here: http://www.newamssm.org/Residents-Students.html

Good luck.

Can you elaborate on your "best kept secret" comment? thx

It's the best kept secret in the sense that if medical students only knew what sports medicine family doctors did as team physicians (serving as "the team doctor" for teams & individuals, working medical tents in endurance events, working sideline/ringside, helping athletes make good decisions, and using that knowledge on their average patients), more students would pick family medicine.

It is very well known that musculoskeletal teaching during medical school is poor for the general student body, with only those who have orthopedic, neurology, and PM&R aspirations who pay particular attention after 1st year anatomy & physical diagnosis. I think it has to do with medical schools being dominated by internists & surgeons, personally; but that's a different topic altogether. At least family medicine makes an attempt at educating its residents. In other primary care specialties like IM, Peds, and OB/Gyn, musculoskeletal medicine is non-existent in its required curriculum.

Part of the lack of exposure to medical students is that PCSM is a new specialty. The other reason is most PCSM can make more money in private practice than academics. Many PCSM doctors don't involve medical students when they go to the training room, and most medical students either aren't interested or don't know that those opportunities exist.

If you get a chance to work with a sports med family doc, you should. It's a pretty cool job.

Hi all,

I've gotten a couple pm's from people asking some updated PCSM questions.

Background:
For those that are interested in PCSM, it's a very dynamic fast paced field, with GREAT patients (motivated to get better, athletic, youngish, and tend to be well insured. The hours are phenomenal. The pay is very variable depending on a few factors as outlined below.

Fellowship is very competitive (I interviewed over a hundred applicants for 2 fellowship positions when I was a fellow) but there are more and more fellowships opening up around the country.

It's a relatively new field (30 years), so it flies under the radar even though it's a sweet field.

Training:
You can practice FM, IM, Peds, PMNR and do PCSM as part of your practice (referrals mostly for PCSM) or you can do what I did and joined an Ortho group.
Residency at O'Connor Hospital/Stanford University, fellowship at University of Utah.

I am a PCSM attending in a 12 person Ortho group in California. It's a hybrid private/academic program affiliated with a major private hospital system in SF. We see UCSF, CPMC, residents as well as Dartmouth med students.

My scope of practice:
I actually have a pretty sweet niche in the group. I see all comers, decide if they are surgical or non surgical (by far most are non), and send the cases to the surgeons. They also send me non op patients.

It took a year for them to figure out what I'm good at and it took me a year to figure out what I could do better than the orthopods.

These include non operative treatment of tendonopathy, cartilage problems, root cause issues of musculoskeletal problems, medical causes for msk issues,nutritional assessment, and treating hypermobility patients.

However my biggest value to the group and niche is with minimally invasive ultrasound guided procedures; Ex tendon debridements, needle tenotomy, cheilectomy, intra-articular hip, facet, SI joint injections, as well as regenerative injections of platelet rich plasma. I am just starting to get into mesenchymal stem cells as well.

I got trained in fluoroscopy and ultrasound in fellowship and in my first year in practice did a lot of epidurals, selective nerve root blocks, fluro guided joint injections etc but my practice started to become more back /spine heavy so I stopped fluoro and started exclusively doing MSK U/S which is the best decision I've ever made.

I am also one of the team doc's for the SF Ballet as part of my gig, which is SO rewarding, again fast paced, and surprisingly not as much of a time commitment if you have help. (I do).

So my practice is full of exactly what I want to see. I feed them, they feed me. Very synergistic. Remember, the surgeons' focus is surgery/non-surgery. Mine is figuring out the root problems, and preventing surgery if possible and keeping people active and doing the things they love. My patients and I have a great relationship.

Lifestyle vs Pay:
I work 4 days a week, no call no weekends and 2 years in, I'm above the 95th percentile for FM trained docs. Pay is about 10-20k more if you have an FP practice and also see sports patients. Ortho jobs pay better but then again the model is different. You tend to see more patients (20-30 per day) and the problems are very focused which I like vs in a primary care setting, people typically have 2-4 problems which you are obligated to at least partially address. if you do procedures (fluoro, ultrasound guided, surgically assist), you'll make more money. Lastly, if you work for Kaiser, you can add on at least 75K-100/yr more but you work a bit harder, with a bit less vacation, but have phenomenal benefits and a 9-5 job, but are more of a worker bee than rather than a captain.

My advice. If you interested, go to the national AMSSM conference, and secondly the ACSM one. You'll meet all the fellowship directors, fellows, and walk away so inspired, and excited to do PCSM.

pm me if you have any questions.

cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user