Print lectures or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I always printed out powerpoints in my undergraduate career and wrote information down as the class progressed. I assume podiatry students all have different tactics, but is it realistic to print out every lecture, or does online lecture typing represent the majority of students?

I just ask because writing works for me, but I don't know if it is feasible (printing costs, too much information, etc.). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I printed everything out in undergrad as well.

I started printing everything out 1st semester of pod school but it became too much. I now just study off my computer exclusively. Much easier, but it took some getting used to.

Make sure you periodically back up your files somewhere though. All it takes is your computer to crash and loose everything.

I printed everything out in undergrad as well.

I started printing everything out 1st semester of pod school but it became too much. I now just study off my computer exclusively. Much easier, but it took some getting used to.

Make sure you periodically back up your files somewhere though. All it takes is your computer to crash and loose everything.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do print it off, do yourself a favor and keep it organized and labeled in an appropriate binder. This makes going back to it to study for boards more efficient and practical.

I always printed out powerpoints in my undergraduate career and wrote information down as the class progressed. I assume podiatry students all have different tactics, but is it realistic to print out every lecture, or does online lecture typing represent the majority of students?

I just ask because writing works for me, but I don't know if it is feasible (printing costs, too much information, etc.). Thanks!
I used printed lectures, but AZPod printed them all off for us. There were a few people who used computers but most of us (DO and DPM students) used the printed slides.

I now just study off my computer exclusively.

Could you explain a bit? Do you make flash cards from the slides off the computer? Or do you just read the lecture slides off the computer? Do you take notes with your computer as well?

Could you explain a bit? Do you make flash cards from the slides off the computer? Or do you just read the lecture slides off the computer? Do you take notes with your computer as well?

Everything is powerpoint or pdf file so I just take notes on the files themselves. It would be just too much paper (for me) to print and I would likely loose things. A couple courses I did print out because I had to draw on the slides/handouts.

Slides are kinda like flash cards when you think about it. I read the book when I have to. You will develop your own style as you go along.

But if you do go the computer route... back up everything monthly. I'm serious. My computer crashed during 1st year.....

I leave the power points on my computer and just write everything down on paper that goes neatly into an organized binder. While I used to have the approach of printing off powerpoint slides and writing on them, I had to change my study habits a bit. The main reason is that you're in class for hours. Some days we have 6+ hours of class. No matter how rested you are, there will be drop off in class where you just get tired of listening to the professor blitz through all this material in which if you simply zone out for 40 seconds, you are thoroughly confused. Constantly sitting up and writing/jotting down notes helps keep you alert through class. While this strategy is uncommon, I find that it works for me (just get used to really tired and blistered fingers). I'm not suggesting you do this for all your classes: maybe just the ones you have problems staying awake in like a 1 PM (siesta time) class.

Last edited:
I highly recommend paper, unless you have wickedly strong motivation and concentration. You will find that no matter how hard you try, you will get bored and default to the internet. I have found that the act of writing also has the benefit of linking physical motions to the material. Actively writing the material helps me remember the material better and makes class a better 1st or 2nd pass of the subject matter.

The upside of using the computer is the possibility of well organized searchable notes.

It all depends on your personal preferences but I've found that having a printed copy of the notes helps greatly. I can write in additional notes during the lecture, which I can later refer back to when I'm studying later.

Get an iPad and the app iAnnotate. You can easily import all the powerpoints and in is really easy to annotate the lectures as you need. its also very easy to keep it all organized. when i review the slides the day before the exam i just take screenshot of every slide i need to quickly look at in the morning and it goes right to my photos to look at in the morning. I'd say 80% of the students in my class, (pod and med students) use an iPad. Plus you can zoom on slides to see what is fuzzy when you print.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting with the class of 2017, nycpm is issuing ipad minis to students. They will come preloaded with textbooks, reference guides and whatnot. The goal is to go green. I hear it also comes in handy in the clinic and for class notes as above mentioned using iAnnotate app.

Starting with the class of 2017, nycpm is issuing ipad minis to students. They will come preloaded with textbooks, reference guides and whatnot. The goal is to go green. I hear it also comes in handy in the clinic and for class notes as above mentioned using iAnnotate app.

I think that is a pretty cool idea. I switched to note taking on my iPad for the spring semester of my 2nd year and loved it. I've used iAnnotate and liked it but I have found that Notability has a better response to writing with a stylus.

I'd recommend using Goodreader for articles, it has better editing functions for PDFs in my opinion.

Mine has come in handy on rotations a number of times already whether that is looking something up or to read an article in some down time.

student associated costs? As in tuition hikes?

During my undergrad career, I bought a $50 laser printer for the sole purpose of printing out lecture slides. A crap load of paper and ink.

I want to go a bit more "green" but I do see the issue of correlating easily the notes on paper to the slides that they pertain to. I like the idea of having physical paper, but with EMR coming around full force, I really want to wean off paper....How? Any more recommendations or styles will be read with true enthusiasm and open-mindedness!! :)

I have a galaxy tab, any apps recommended? :)

During my undergrad career, I bought a $50 laser printer for the sole purpose of printing out lecture slides. A crap load of paper and ink.

I want to go a bit more "green" but I do see the issue of correlating easily the notes on paper to the slides that they pertain to. I like the idea of having physical paper, but with EMR coming around full force, I really want to wean off paper....How? Any more recommendations or styles will be read with true enthusiasm and open-mindedness!! :)

I have a galaxy tab, any apps recommended? :)

It wasn't that hard for me to make the switch. You get used to it quick. The only problem with being on the computer is you end up on the internet more... like I am right now.

Can't agree with these tablet recommendations. Too slow and cumbersome for me. If you have the money, get a Mac Air (or an Asus Zenbook if you want a windows machine).

I print handouts, but only infrequently print powerpoints. When I do print powerpoints I use 6 slides to a page. I don't know what my print allotment started at, but its still over $100 and I'm told it carries over.

After reading this thread. I downloaded evernote.

Anyone use that program?

The one drawback that I thought evernote would work with is being able to drag powerpoint slides to a note so i can make notes (i e textboxes?) on the slides themselves, but that's not doing.

It wasn't that hard for me to make the switch. You get used to it quick. The only problem with being on the computer is you end up on the internet more... like I am right now.

I have the same problem!

So to those of you that use iPads, would you suggest getting a mini or a regular iPad? 16GB or 32GB?

So to those of you that use iPads, would you suggest getting a mini or a regular iPad? 16GB or 32GB?

As far as device size (iPad or iPad mini) goes, this is really user preference. A number of people in my class have iPads and it seem fairly equally distributed between normal size units and minis. I decided to go for a full size for a few reasons. Spec-wise, it is more powerful and it has a sharper resolution (retina display vs non-retina). Size-wise, I preferred the larger reading screen. My main use for it is to study lectures and read articles so I wanted it to be bigger to help reduce eye strain.

The main perk for the iPad mini that I have heard is that it can be easily held in one hand and it fits better in your white coat for rotations. The mini does fit better but I haven't had any problems with my iPad fitting in my white coat and it even has a case on it.

I'd recommend going to an Apple store and use each size for a while and try to read on both to see what you are most comfortable with.

As far as hard drive space goes, I have a 16 GB but 32 GB would be nice. It is definitely possible to get by with the 16 but I utilize a fair amount of cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc) to make everything fit and stream my media (Pandora/Spotify) instead of keeping it on the iPad. I couldn't bring myself to drop another $100 for an extra 16 GB. If I did it all over again, I would still get the 16.

Thanks. I was debating getting a mini in order to take it during 3rd/4th year and residency, but I may worry with that later and go for the bigger screen for the didactic work that looms ahead...

Thanks. I was debating getting a mini in order to take it during 3rd/4th year and residency, but I may worry with that later and go for the bigger screen for the didactic work that looms ahead...

I have a full sized one and take it practically everywhere - it's size certainly doesn't hinder portability.

The ipad mini was made so apple could have a tablet that competes with the smaller tablets like the kindle fire and nook, difference being it costs more. If you are thinking ipad mini just get a kindle fire hd, it's cheaper and can handle anything you would need for podiatry school.