prioritizing aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just trying to wade through the sea of advice regarding aways. I'm a pretty strong applicant (I think!): mid-tier med school, 2 HP and the rest honors on rotations, 247 step 1, one pub plus one in the works. I'm trying to stay in the same area that I go to school in, so initially figured I'd do my aways at two local programs. After some thought, it occurred to me that the programs I had in mind are "mid-tier," and not necessarily tough to match into per my advisors. Since we all know the lore about aways having the potential to hurt you, I'm starting to think I should scrap these aways, since my numbers are a decent match with these (i.e. why mess with a good thing?) Instead, I'm now thinking of trying for an away at Hopkins, which I also plan to rank. Since this would be ridiculously hard to get, I'd need a backup plan. Let's say I used one of my original institutions (which I also plan on applying to) as a backup, but then had to pull out- would that sink my chances at that program? Would I be better off just not having a backup plan and then scrambling as need be if I don't get the Hopkins elective?