Priority on retaking gen chem 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmDee Wannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am currently going into my 2nd year of undergrad as a Bio major. Unfortunately, my first year was a rough experience due to a lack of discipline, effort and responsibility and I ended up receiving a 1.5 overall gpa. I took gen chem 1 my 2nd semester but earned a D. I've been contemplating what to do for some time now and I would like to continue to pursue the pre-med curriculum and just maybe get into med school. I wanted to retake Gen chem 1 in the fall so I could cover all the chemistry I need before I take the MCAT but my advisor suggests I don't take it because of it's difficulty and the need for me to raise my gpa. Would postponing gen chem 1 to my 2nd semester of sophomore year be detrimental? I haven't looked into what is going to be on the new MCAT in detail but I believe there will be Biochem covered on the exam. If I postpone gen chem 1, assuming I take summer courses for chemistry, I'm only going to be able to cover everything up to Ochem 2, if I take the MCAT during the summer of my junior year. This leaves me out of Biochem all together and I wouldn't want to miss out on a higher score or opportunity into med school because I didn't take Biochem. I'm quite lost right now and could use a bit of guidance or suggestions on what I should do. Should I re-enroll into gen chem 1? Is my gpa too low to even bother with trying to get into medical school? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok from what you have told me I think really think you should take a year off to apply to med school because right now you need to focus on getting your GPA up and getting good grades on your pre requisites. Once you have them in check, then focus on the MCAT. It is better to take it slowly and wisely rather than just delving into something that you are unprepared for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The first year of college can be tough for many reasons- the important thing is that you're coming up with solid game plan for how to succeed from sophomore year and and on :)

It's great that you're thinking ahead about the topics that you need to master for the MCAT and also meeting with your advisor for input. However, I would recommend to take things one semester at a time. What classes are you currently signed up for next semester? Try to focus on preparing to do well in those classes and adding gen. chem 1 to that list as long as you're ready to take it on. For me, this meant going into it with a motivated attitude knowing that I would have to put a lot of work in! Not taking gen. chem 1 because it's difficult as your advisor has said isn't a great reason to avoid it. If anything, you might consider retaking it at a local community college if finances are an issue.

If you make a plan to succeed one semester a time, the bigger pieces will start to fall into place. Don't be in a rush to take the MCAT, especially without a mastery of the material covered or even an introduction to Biochem.

You need to retake Chem 1. Period.

Reactions: 2 users
OP you shouldn't be worried about your timeline of when to take certain classes. I'm guessing you are in no rush. I mean, why would you be? It isn't like you were in that awkward time crunch to take the old MCAT before the new one came out. You have to take the new MCAT, so you can take as long as you want. What is your current GPA? You should probably slow down and focus on what will get you the best quality result, not the quickest.