Prism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1wKf.jpg

Two identically shaped prisms are juxtaposed as shown below. Biolet light exits the system above red light, because the average index of refraction of prism 2 is:

A. less than prism 1; light is dispersed more in prism 1
B. less than prism 1; light is dispersed less in prism 1
C. more than prism 1; light is dispersed more in prism 1
D. more than prism 1; light is dispersed less in prism 1

Answer:D

Members don't see this ad.

M1wKf.jpg

Two identically shaped prisms are juxtaposed as shown below. Biolet light exits the system above red light, because the average index of refraction of prism 2 is:

A. less than prism 1; light is dispersed more in prism 1
B. less than prism 1; light is dispersed less in prism 1
C. more than prism 1; light is dispersed more in prism 1
D. more than prism 1; light is dispersed less in prism 1

Answer:D

Has to be D no?

It is D (highlight "Answer:") but I don't understand why.

I understand that n1lambda1=n2lambda2, but I'm not able to make the connection with multiple prisms where the rays refract in opposite directions.

It is D (highlight "Answer:") but I don't understand why.

I understand that n1lambda1=n2lambda2, but I'm not able to make the connection with multiple prisms where the rays refract in opposite directions.

My train of thought when I first saw this was to think that the violet light in prism 2 would meet the red light again. However, the violet light not only meets the red light, it also passes it too, leading me to believe that prism 2 simply has a larger n than prism 1

Members don't see this ad :)
My train of thought when I first saw this was to think that the violet light in prism 2 would meet the red light again. However, the violet light not only meets the red light, it also passes it too, leading me to believe that prism 2 simply has a larger n than prism 1

So the greater n in prism 2 combined with the fact that violet has shorter wavelength then red is why the violet bends so much more than red at the prism1-prism2 interface?

So the greater n in prism 2 combined with the fact that violet has shorter wavelength then red is why the violet bends so much more than red at the prism1-prism2 interface?

Yes that's the correct logic. The EM wave with the shorter wavelength with experience more 'bending' at the interface of a prism than one with a longer wavelength.