Pritzker (50% tuition) vs. Hopkins (only loans)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swanonc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Obviously very fortunate to make this decision as I never thought either would happen, but I'm really having a hard time narrowing it down. Interested in internal med and then subspeciality, possibly hem/onc and academic medicine. Don't have a strong location preference to end up at, but have always loved the city of Chicago but have never gotten to live there.

UChicago Pritzker
Pros
  • Location: close to home, larger more fun city, easier for SO, friends in city
  • 50% tuition scholarship
  • Small class size and great culture
  • Seems really easy to find mentorship in research and otherwise (women in leadership positions!)
Cons
  • Some rotations off site in Evanston
  • Some facilities coming but not established yet: new trauma center, cancer center in the works
  • Probably would want to match somewhere else, but plenty still match all over

Hopkins
Pros
  • It's Hopkins: incredible facilities, research funding, history
  • Colleges and molecule system for community and mentorship
  • Top IM program and great cancer center
  • Change of scenery and can match anywhere
Cons
  • Price tag: straight loans for everything
  • Not really into Baltimore yet
  • Seems hard to get to know people outside of Hopkins

Cost of living, working with underserved populations are similar

Summary: Do I go with the school that's more realistic and personally well fit or take the financial hit to go an incredible school that could get me anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much would COA differ in total, including living costs?

How did you feel in terms of fit/vibes from each school?

It's about $40k year at Pritzker and $70k a year at Hopkins, about a $120k difference overall. Living costs aren't too different because it's the South Side of Chicago

Fit/vibes I felt very comfortable and supported at both places, loved both groups of students. The smaller class at Pritzker makes the whole school feel very tightly knit, but the colleges/molecule system at Hopkins seemed great

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an M0, but I agree with the other posters. Pritzker, for sure. Also, congratulations! It's a tough decision, but you're obviously a rock star - you'll be a-ok, no matter where you go to medical school!

Reactions: 1 users
I'll offer a different perspective. I think the fact that you're still considering Hopkins even with the increased costs show to me that you might prefer it overall.

I won't tell you that finances don't matter. They do, and $120K is no small change. But if it makes you happier overall for the next 4 years and even over the course of your career, I think it's a worthwhile investment. The best investment you can make is in yourself.

Also from fact that you received zero need-based aid, I'm guessing you might come from a decently well-off family. If you can receive some support from your family, even if just interest-free loans, that might take some of the financial strain off.

My overall point is go to the school you liked best. Don't let finances be the deciding factor (important factor but not the only one). If city and being close to family is most important to you, go to Pritzker, If you want certain research opportunities at Hopkins, go there.

Congrats and good luck! Both options are great!

You're correct, my family is in a good position. However, we have always agreed that I am responsible for my own education costs, especially beyond undergrad. Partially from that agreement, partially from their other financial responsibilities (aging/sick parents, younger siblings, etc.), and partially from my own feelings of personal responsibility, that isn't likely to budge.

But additionally correct in that I see the merits of Hopkins to still consider the increased cost. Thank you!

OP, in your case, based on your pros and cons, I'd actually vote for Hopkins (although both are great schools, congratulations!). You say you would probably want to match somewhere else if you went to Pritzker, and while Pritzker has a strong national reputation, having a home residency program that you like to back you up is important (especially at Pritzker where many of their grads do match at UChicago). If you really don't want to stay at UChicago after medical school, that is something to consider.

In terms of reputation for IM, Hopkins is its own league with schools like Harvard and UCSF. Pritzker is strong, but IMO Hopkins will give you a slight edge and open a few more doors come residency time. It is Johns Hopkins after all, and for internal med there is no better place to be. Will really set you up well for a top heme/onc fellowship if that's what you want.

Finally, I think the change of scenery is important. Medical school is a great time to experience a change and allow for personal growth. Baltimore gets a bad rap, and IMO does have a lot to offer, even if its no Chicago. You can always head back to the midwest for residency coming from Hopkins, and I think heading east would be a great change.

Congrats again OP! Don't think you can go wrong, but in your case, I'd pick Hopkins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your thoughts, hearing what others had to say clarified what was important to me. Pritzker it is!
If it helps anyone mulling over their decision, what it really came down to for me is location, price, fit, and support network. Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.