Pritzker vs UNLV vs USC vs UCSF vs UCSD

Started by babern
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

babern

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone could comment on the plastics programs at Pritzker(chicago), UNLV(vegas), USC, UCSF(san fran), and UCSD(san diego). I have heard and seen little about these programs and wondering what the pros and cons of these programs are. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
 
I was wondering if anyone could comment on the plastics programs at Pritzker(chicago), UNLV(vegas), USC, UCSF(san fran), and UCSD(san diego). I have heard and seen little about these programs and wondering what the pros and cons of these programs are. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

This totally depends on what you are looking for and how competetive you are to match at each program. Here's my take on these programs

well UCSD is a fellowship after GS so you can count that out since I'm assuming that you are a graduating medical student.

UNLV is trauma/cosmetic heavy and takes only 1/year into the intergrated model.

USC takes a whopping 3 residents per year and LA county has a certain personality that either fits you or doesn't. Personally I love LA county and if you gave me those choices I would choose USC to do a sub-i, I've met some of the residents and they are super cool and down to earth, county has a lot of autonomy given to the residents and has hard core trauma which I love....
That being said, true county hospitals you either love it or hate it. Trust me on this one.... also, I don't think they have to best cosmetic experience as well. 99% of the patient population is hispanic also.

UCSF is very academic I wouldn't have had a chance in hell to match there even if I rotated since I'm not very well published at all.... I believe they take 2/year so there is no way I would go there.



I don't know anything about Chicago programs.