Privacy notices...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the hell is going on... I literally got like 20 emails back to back in the past 2 days about privacy notices from so many different companies.

Just a minute ago, it's SDN email. Are you guys afraid to get sued or something?

SDN having a #MeToo moment about privacy practice lmao....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What the hell is going on... I literally got like 20 emails back to back in the past 2 days about privacy notices from so many different companies.

Just a minute ago, it's SDN email. Are you guys afraid to get sued or something?

I assumed it was due to the new Euro internet privacy laws.

Did you really not listen to the news the last 2 months? If you haven't seen Mark Zuckerberg testify before congress you really should, very funny to see how congress tries to pretend to not be butthurt when they know they are not the most powerful entity in the room.

Members don't see this ad :)
GDPR, it’s stupid, it’s another prop 65 (the California cancer warning law)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So my company is a US based company that incidentally ships to EU, we added a stupid boilerplate privacy policy but I have zero intention with complying with any of it.

I mean, good luck trying to enforce EU fines in the United States. I literally have zero physical presence in the EU.

GDPR can eat me.

It's actually somewhat broader than that though. SDN's host provider, whoever it is, may be forcing it on SDN. So, if you are with a standard hosting provider like GoDaddy or DreamHost, the companies will make it a part of their business agreements that they have to be compliant with European law. That's why Walgreens and CVS have been doing so, because their host domain provider forces it on them (Walgreens additionally has major assets that can be fined in Boots). Compliance fees have gone through the roof.

What kind of sucks is that a business might not have ANY Europa contact at all, but still has to comply with the Euro regulations because the infrastructure does have some regulations tie. This is the same problem as sales tax/VAT collection, and speech constraints. Globalization means as well as getting the best, you get regulated by the worst.

Does European law apply to American companies? Why would SDN need to comply? What business is SDN conducting outside of the United States?

Does European law apply to American companies? Why would SDN need to comply? What business is SDN conducting outside of the United States?

Yes, in the same way that American trade law applies to European businesses due to our wonderful global trade agreements. As SDN itself, I don't see a particular reason if it's incorporated in the US. But if something in their web infrastructure is there that has a European entity presence, then their subsidiaries may be forced to comply. As above, if SDN has a webhost that has some Europa location (like a server or something), that webhost may force its clients to comply with EU policy for it to comply with EU policy.

Again, I have no idea what SDN's actual reason for compliance is. All that I am pointing out is that although a particular business may have nothing to do with these issues (and I really doubt SDN has any business interest that is affected), the companies you may work with forces that behavior on you, because they do have to comply. Likewise, we have no particular European interests, but if we want to stay on SDN, we will comply, right? So, bow to your masters in Brussels (about this issue) and move on with your life, right?

But this is a very mild issue. You have to understand that since that we Americans own the root servers for the Internet (yeah, ICANN supposedly is international, but it's very US-controlled), US policy has driven most of those issues. As the Internet gets more regulated and enforced through cross-national means, I have a feeling that we're all going to revisit Internet sovereignty again because yes, I don't want to be sued on UK grounds for libel. That's the real downside of global coupling, and it's actually one of the reasons why the UK is invested in Brexit. They've borne a bunch of weird changes in their law from Brussels from unaccountable bureaucrats, and they got pissed about the increasing interference in their daily lives.

So my company is a US based company that incidentally ships to EU, we added a stupid boilerplate privacy policy but I have zero intention with complying with any of it.

I mean, good luck trying to enforce EU fines in the United States. I literally have zero physical presence in the EU.

GDPR can eat me.

Of all the stupid bull**** Trump completely makes up about how the US is being treated unfairly in international markets, here is an issue on a silver platter that he could complain about and he doesn't even mention it.

If the EU fines you, due to treaties, the US is expected to enforce them. Will the US actually do this? Honestly, under Trump...maybe not. But at the same time, tise would weaken his stance that China is ravaging US copyright all the time. If the US doesn't apply EU law, why should China apply US law?

Of all the stupid bull**** Trump completely makes up about how the US is being treated unfairly in international markets, here is an issue on a silver platter that he could complain about and he doesn't even mention it.

If the EU fines you, due to treaties, the US is expected to enforce them. Will the US actually do this? Honestly, under Trump...maybe not. But at the same time, tise would weaken his stance that China is ravaging US copyright all the time. If the US doesn't apply EU law, why should China apply US law?

Who says China does? They do with respect to SWIFT or energy,because we make the rules. But look at that Great Firewall of China built with U.S. technology. Don't get me started on the cost of technology.

The Price of Nice Nails

Somewhat related is the problem of regulation when you don't speak the language. The FDA has an impossible challenge regulating active ingredient quality in China, and the nails article gives all the reasons while being on U.S. Territory. If you want to travel and your Putonghua is reasonably competent, join the FDA and work until the bribe is high enough to retire.

The global economy is a regulatory race to the bottom.

Enforcement of GDPR has never been court tested and even its own wording about fining non-European entities is “optimistic” at best.

A US judge/magistrate would have to rule on enforcement for it to become in force in the US. Kind of like extradition.

IMO, best eventual practice for companies not large enough to warrant compliance is to firewall their online entity in a wholly owned LLC so any fines/legal actions would be contained.

Again, European laws can eat me. I will never truly comply.