private autopsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sustentacular

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have conducted private autopsies, or have served as a contract physician conducting hospital or forensic autopsies, what do you charge? I'm not looking to hire anyone, I'm just curious :oops:.

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard anywhere from $1500 to a few thousand, depending on whether testimony will be necessary later on, case complexity, etc. our department does provide for-fee autopsy services to smaller hospitals in the region that don't themselves want to do autopsies, and the price is about three thousand for a complete autopsy (a bit less for partial autopsies).

Hmmm. So you're saying I'm getting screwed by doing autopsy "moonlighting" at a small hospital and only getting $500/case? Interesting . . . but then again I'm still a resident, so that $500 feels pretty good when it happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. So you're saying I'm getting screwed by doing autopsy "moonlighting" at a small hospital and only getting $500/case? Interesting . . . but then again I'm still a resident, so that $500 feels pretty good when it happens!

sounds like it, yeah. i'm sure they're charging far more than that. that said, i'd gladly do moonlight autopsies for half that, but i haven't found any opportunities in the area i'm living.

I don't necessarily think you're getting screwed since you're still a resident. Pay for the Dr. performing the autopsy seems to vary widely and depends on the area, level of training/certification and the setting, ie. hospital autopsy, vs forensic autopsy, vs private autopsy.