Private Equity in Pain: Implications for Pain?

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drusso

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
 
I’m grateful (in retrospect) that very early in my career a PE group swooped in and quickly destroyed what was otherwise a great place to work. Those 8 months were a painful crash course into the raw realities regarding “the business of healthcare” and being a cog in their machine. I didn’t have kids then and my wife’s job was flexible, so it was fairly easy to pivot away from the hellscape this PE group had created.

This experience has heavily informed every job/career move I’ve made since then, as well as how I now protect my patients and myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since the cost of capital (interest rates) jumped I have seen way less pe activity locally. I was hit up by 5 groups in 18 months about 5 years ago.

The mbas were all exactly like the Jonny hilbrant/PE guy meme
 
Since the cost of capital (interest rates) jumped I have seen way less pe activity locally. I was hit up by 5 groups in 18 months about 5 years ago.

The mbas were all exactly like the Jonny hilbrant/PE guy meme
They are definitely still out there talking to pain guys. Rheum/Neuro infusion suites are their new targets of late.
 
I’m grateful (in retrospect) that very early in my career a PE group swooped in and quickly destroyed what was otherwise a great place to work. Those 8 months were a painful crash course into the raw realities regarding “the business of healthcare” and being a cog in their machine. I didn’t have kids then and my wife’s job was flexible, so it was fairly easy to pivot away from the hellscape this PE group had created.

This experience has heavily informed every job/career move I’ve made since then, as well as how I now protect my patients and myself.
This is me in a nutshell.
 
I’m grateful (in retrospect) that very early in my career a PE group swooped in and quickly destroyed what was otherwise a great place to work. Those 8 months were a painful crash course into the raw realities regarding “the business of healthcare” and being a cog in their machine. I didn’t have kids then and my wife’s job was flexible, so it was fairly easy to pivot away from the hellscape this PE group had created.

This experience has heavily informed every job/career move I’ve made since then, as well as how I now protect my patients and myself.
Could you elaborate on what you learned for fellows feeling out their first job?
 
Could you elaborate on what you learned for fellows feeling out their first job?

It could be a boring textbook, but probably the highest-yield macro PE-relevant things you should consider are:

Who actually calls the shots in terms of practice structure and how it operates?
If you will have no meaningful control, then is the decision-maker a physician?
Do they actually still see patients, and, if so, is the level of practice support they get within the same ballpark as what you’d get?
Do they live near and/or work at the clinic or are they 10 states away?

These things are important because one of the best ways to hedge that decision-makers will actually do the right thing is if they’re in the trenches with you experiencing all the various ramifications of practice-level decisions.

If the person who dictates that you have to do a two level TFESI as a “first-step” for basically any patient who come in, allots patients only 5 minutes of face time with you, or wildly understaffs the place to the point where patients’ heads explode when nobody answers the clinic phone…you want said decision maker to get their share of taking the heat from patients et al. Otherwise, you become the face of somebody else’s mess and you will, like it or not, serve as their reputational and liability shield.
 
It could be a boring textbook, but probably the highest-yield macro PE-relevant things you should consider are:

Who actually calls the shots in terms of practice structure and how it operates?
If you will have no meaningful control, then is the decision-maker a physician?
Do they actually still see patients, and, if so, is the level of practice support they get within the same ballpark as what you’d get?
Do they live near and/or work at the clinic or are they 10 states away?

These things are important because one of the best ways to hedge that decision-makers will actually do the right thing is if they’re in the trenches with you experiencing all the various ramifications of practice-level decisions.

If the person who dictates that you have to do a two level TFESI as a “first-step” for basically any patient who come in, allots patients only 5 minutes of face time with you, or wildly understaffs the place to the point where patients’ heads explode when nobody answers the clinic phone…you want said decision maker to get their share of taking the heat from patients et al. Otherwise, you become the face of somebody else’s mess and you will, like it or not, serve as their reputational and liability shield.
Great advice. Thanks.