Private loan for Canadian attending US Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs123

Reaction score
Hi - I am a Canadian and I have two acceptances in the US. I was wondering if any Canadians that have gone to US dental schools have a private bank that they can recommend that gives high lines of credit? So far I have been in contact with RBC and they were willing to give me only $150 k Canadian which would not cover nearly enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I would reconsider going to the US at the tuition rates they are offering these days. Including interest you will come out with around 550-575k USD if you live frugally. Is there any way you could reapply to Canada to improve your application?

RBC is offering you that amount because they don't believe it would make financial sense given the metrics offered these days to a Canadian resident without financial assistance. You can try to have a cosigner which will allow you to take out more, followed by private loans in the US (likely again with a cosigner in the US) but those are likely to be from smaller banks with exorbitant interest rates ~7-10%.

Scotia Bank was giving loans few years ago
The main question is why did you apply without having means to pay? That puzzles me

Members don't see this ad :)
The US tuition is very expensive regardless, especially if you're not eligible for scholarships as an international.

Hi - I am a Canadian and I have two acceptances in the US. I was wondering if any Canadians that have gone to US dental schools have a private bank that they can recommend that gives high lines of credit? So far I have been in contact with RBC and they were willing to give me only $150 k Canadian which would not cover nearly enough.
Hi.did you have a canadian cosigner to get 150k loan from RBC?

Hi did RBC give it with a co-signer or without a cosigner?