Private loan recommendations for a formal postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksyhe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For folks paying for formal postbac programs with private loans, what lender did you use, and do you recommend them?

I'm already maxing out my federal loans and savings, so unfortunately, looks like private loans will be necessary. A couple I'm looking into include Citizens Bank TruFit, Chase Select Private Loans, CitiAssist, Discover Student Loan, and StudentChoice. Thoughts on these, or others I should consider?

Thanks!

(The financial aid forum seems to be geared exclusively to paying for medical school, so I thought I might have better luck posting this in the postbac forum as our deferment needs and loan options are different.)

Members don't see this ad.

i have borrowed from private loans but could have done a little bit better had i been more informed about this. this thread below is very helpful. it seems like you should check out the credit unions first. see the links in that thread.

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?p=12510118

also, make sure that your *aggregated* federal loans are maxe out first. there's a yearly limit and then there's the aggregated limit. i read a recent article that said a big percentage of students who get private loans are not aware that they were in fact elegible for federal loans.

what i like about the credit union loan described in that thread is that you don't have to make payments while in school. that's an attractive feature imo.