Private Loans Without FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jade8993

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to a doctor of physical therapy program a few thousand miles away from where I currently live. Moving there is far out of my price range.
Thus far I have learned that FAFSA loans may not come into your bank account until very close to, or after your program has started. My family has volunteered to pay for my tuition, but I will be paying cost of living/getting there.
All of the private loan forums I have explored say that private loans are to bridge the gap after FAFSA and scholarships ect will not make ends meet. Since I need money to move there (aka before the program starts and FAFSA may come into effect) I am hoping that I have missed something that says private loans can be an initial method of paying, not just an all else is exhausted route?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have your family paying for tuition, could you have them front you the money that you need to move out their and then they just deduct that from whatever they were going to pay in tuition and when the federal loans are disbursed that will cover whatever is left in tuition. ( your family is still paying the same amount, just some of the money is going to you instead of the school and you can avoid private loans)