Private OD schools vs State OD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saloo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are out of state, state schools cheaper than private schools in state? Doesn't the cost of living and other expenses add up?

Members don't see this ad.

Are out of state, state schools cheaper than private schools in state? Doesn't the cost of living and other expenses add up?
Some of the state schools offer in-state tutition after one year if you change your state residency.

Usually pretty similiar, unless you can eventually get in-state tuition or sponsorship from your home state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Choose a public school not a for-profit OD mill :D

IndianaOD do you know why there are public OD schools for some states, and then discounts for some other states that have no OD schools, and then nothing for other states. I am from NJ and there is no public OD school or any discounts to go to any private schools. I know that NJ has a lot of undergrad colleges and two or three MD and DDS schools but is this more than other states? I really wish there was a discount for EVERYONE from a state that doesnt have an OD school! Do you see this changing anytime soon?

Some states have contracts with certain schools that stipulate that the state will subsidize tuition for a certain number of students that come from those states. These are almost always in states that are historically underserved (quite laughable in this day and age) Most of those contracts are relics from a bygone era but are still in place. New Jersey, sandwiched right between two schools of optometry is not having any shortage of ODs, nor has it ever so no need for a contract.

Does NOVA offer in-state tuition after a year? it was not clear from their website...I am going to ask them when I go down there for an interview, but it would be good to have some info before hand.

You'll want to think about the "cost of living" for the cities you'll want to be in. I seriously thought about attending SUNY, but found out that having 1 bedroom in an apartment with 3 other guys 10 blocks from school would cost me $1000 a month. (And that was a "great deal")

Do a google search on cost of living calculator and you can see how far your dollar will go in different cities. Factor that in with the tuition to estimate how expensive optometry school will be.

And I hope you don't immediately discard the thought of going to a private school. I've taken classes at many public (more than 5) and private (1) schools and I feel that the quality of education I received was more a function of the quality of the student body than whether the school was public or private.