Private or state college? HELP?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tw1nhood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I don't know if you guys might have seen a thread similar to this but I need your help.
I'm a senior in high school who lives in central Ohio and I got accepted into Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio and Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Both which are private liberal arts schools. I have also applied to Ohio state (My dream school) and Otterbein University. I will major in either Bio or psy. I REALLY want to go to Columbia for dental school and do whatever it takes to reach that dream.
My question is, if applying to Columbia or Harvard for dental, would it be better if I went to a private school like OWU or a state school like OSU?

Thank you soo much for reading my thread!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your dream school and ENJOY the college experience. You'll develop a lot as a person that way, which will help you not only in interviews but also in practice and life in general. Get solid grades and a good DAT, and you will be golden.

You can get into Columbia from any of the above, so that shouldn't even be a factor right now. I know the same neuroticism (for lack of a better word) that has you on SDN as a high school senior won't let you believe me, but I speak the truth here.

Dreaming is great if you have your feet firmly planted on the ground.

Members don't see this ad :)
major in somthing easy like business admin and minor in science (BIO) for your prereqs. this will give you a high gpa and allow you t0 g0 t0 columbia. Pick the easier school.

Your choice of undergraduate institution will NOT directly affect your competitiveness for dental school. Your state of mind, happiness, and ability to do well at a certain college WILL.

I also live in Ohio and there are a lot of good public schools to look into (I go to one of them). They provide a quality education and are much more affordable. Don't limit yourself just because you think a private school will make you more competitive.

Do yourself a favor and take a break from SDN for a few years. Relax and enjoy your first few years of college while doing your best to keep a high GPA.

Wow, Thanks for the advice. I know its way too early to be thinking about this but I just worry about things! I'm kind of tired of HS and I want college to start! But it really doesn’t hurt to have a plan or an idea, because I don't want to make a simple mistake like screwing up my GPA or something.
At the end of the day I'm just trying to collect some ideas/mistakes people have or made.

Go to your dream school and ENJOY the college experience. You'll develop a lot as a person that way, which will help you not only in interviews but also in practice and life in general. Get solid grades and a good DAT, and you will be golden.

You can get into Columbia from any of the above, so that shouldn't even be a factor right now. I know the same neuroticism (for lack of a better word) that has you on SDN as a high school senior won't let you believe me, but I speak the truth here.

:laugh:

Your college choice will have no bearing on your admission to any dental school.

major in somthing easy like business admin and minor in science (BIO) for your prereqs. this will give you a high gpa and allow you t0 g0 t0 columbia. Pick the easier school.

Be careful what guidance you accept. This, in my opinion, is terrible advice.

Go to the school that you think will give you a better, more rounded education. It sounds like you are driven and will thrive no matter where you are. Go where you can be in an environment where you can flourish, mature, and do things that interest you outside of academics. After all, it's what you do in addition to your academics that make you an interesting and appealing applicant.

Don't take this decision lightly. It's 4 of the most important years of your life, even if you have a good idea of what you want to do with your career.

I would advise you to go where the classes are smallest, people are smartest, faculty is most interesting, and you have enriching activities/groups ouside of class.

And if you always take the easy way out, it is easily apparent. Dschools do look at the school you went to. They do look at what you majored in. It's no mystery that certain subjects are more difficult than others. Do what you are interested in and passionate about. Maybe you'll have something to talk about when you interview rather than "well, it was ok. Pretty easy i guess." They are looking for motivated, interesting, and well-rounded applicants.

Last edited:
I know a girl at Harvard dental who went to OSU, and my cousin went to OSU and got into Dartmouth Medical School. Both were Bio majors, and both are brilliant. In the end, it doesn't matter so much which school you go to but your performance at that school. Go where you feel you will be happiest.

OSU has an amazing Biology department from what I hear, it's an excellent school and Columbus is an amazing city. And it's going to cost less. I would go state school.

I got into Columbia and I went to OSU as a biology major. Don't major in business admin just to jack your GPA up, if you are smart enough to get into Columbia, you are smart enough to do well in whichever major you want.

Wow, these are really some good advice! I think OWU fits the description of what MNdental mentioned. And I plan on visited the school again, soon!!