May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Just a random question... what are the benefits of going to a private pharmacy school?

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Just a random question... what are the benefits of going to a private pharmacy school?
A lot like going to a private school for undergrad.

Smaller class sizes, more individual attention, you get to know your classmates very well and personally.

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
You get the privilege of paying a lot more for tuition. :D
Unfortunately this is true. Go to a public school. Chances are you'll have more fun (since it's a bigger campus) and will pay at least $30k less overall (and I am just counting for myself, with my state being 1 of only 3 or so states that doesn't have a pharmacy school). If you have an in-state pharmacy school, that would be super-cheap and you wouldn't have to worry as much about how to pay off those loans.

aznsensazn3

Pharmacist
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2010
Chicago, IL
Status
Pharmacist
A lot like going to a private school for undergrad.

Smaller class sizes, more individual attention, you get to know your classmates very well and personally.
This is sometimes true...The private pharmacy school in my state(Midwestern-CCP) has 300 people in their incoming class while the public pharmacy school(UIC) takes in 160. Any school you go to, you will be close to a group of people. There's very little chance that you will become friends with everyone in your class unless it has like 50 people. More individual attention is also another subjective measure. If you need more attention, most schools (both private and public) will have time for their students, this is really based on how much effort the student wants to put in. I went to a very big public school for undergrad and I got to know my classmates very well and personally because my personality likes talking and meeting people. But once again, this depends on the person.

PharmOl

I do Math.
Oct 5, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't think there are any advantages that come merely from a school being private. Of course, the program might be more suitable for you. And competition for out of state applicants might be lower. Other than that... you got me.

bn43py53

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Status
The difference for the sum between the two is significant but not given the expected salary in your future, interest on govn't loans, and of course inflation. If you think about it, a smaller class size, curriculum and a more meaningful interaction with your teachers that you have come to expect from paying more in tuition is worth it.

Personally, it's not worth it to me to make up my choices come Aug because some one has changed their mind and the school has updated the wait list. Couple of reasons here 1. whatever classes you'd taken to matriculate likely differ from one school to another. 2. you'd have to forfeit whatever deposit sum(s) of money you left with the school 3. You would have to change up all the paper work with the financial aid office and insurance; all that, when you know the school you want is not that interested in you in the first place.

Last edited:

PharmOl

I do Math.
Oct 5, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Status
Pharmacy Student
Personally, it's not worth it to me to make up my choices come Aug because some one has forfeited their seat and the school has updated their wait list. 1. whatever classes I take to matriculate differ from a school to a school. 2. forfeit deposit sum(s) of money 3. change up all the paper work with the financial aid officer and insurance, all that, when you know the school is not that interested in you in the first place.
I had to read over this twice to be able to make some kind of sense of it. Punctuation would help : )

Jun 11, 2009
dirty h0t south
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think the OP is talking about pharmacy not undergrad. They're both really different in my opinion because in undergrad you can get a scholarship to a private school and not pay anything and still have smaller classes and other benefits that you might prefer over a school with 60,000 students. I went to a medium size private school with about 9-10,000 undergrads so it was still fun.

For pharmacy school you are going to pay more since scholarships (particularly full scholarships) are rare if not non-existent, but it just depends on the individual person. Cost of living in various areas, jobs, whether you love or dislike the area, opportunities (research/etc), curriculum, etc.