1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Private practice and research

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by MSKalltheway, Apr 14, 2007.

1. MSKalltheway

MSKalltheway I got the magic stick
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For anyone who knows, is it a common practice at all to say, own your own outpatient clinic in private practice, but conduct clinical research from there as well? If not, is this possible or feasible? Or is research in physiatry conducted mostly in the academic setting?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MSKalltheway

MSKalltheway I got the magic stick
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. rehab_sports_dr

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My understanding is that most research is done from academic centers. There are various reasons for this, including:

1. Most research required a fair amount of overhead expenses related to regulation (e.g., IRB submissions, liability insurance, grant writers, research assistants), and this expense is more efficiently handled by a larger institution
    2. Most research requires external funding sources. Non-profit agencies are probably biased in favor of academic centers for the perceived high ethical standards, and industry likes to say that the utility of their products have been verified at academic centers
    3. most private practices don't especially care to research
    4. Few private practices can afford the costs of research

That said, there are some private practices that do research. Certainly case reports/series. Certainly research that doesn't require substantial external funding. Some even use their clinical revenue to fund their own research.