private practice heme/onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

happygolucky1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it practical to do benign heme/oncolog/and malignant heme in the outpatient PP world? Or is it more of a benign heme (consults) + either onc or heme?

Also, if one chooses to do onc, is it common to do just thoracic/HEENT or do the PP do all the fields of onc?

Thanks!
 
Is it practical to do benign heme/oncolog/and malignant heme in the outpatient PP world? Or is it more of a benign heme (consults) + either onc or heme?

Also, if one chooses to do onc, is it common to do just thoracic/HEENT or do the PP do all the fields of onc?


Thanks!

Private Practice now have 2 types, 1) group practice (group which can be single speciality or multispeciality usually 80% onc 20% heme, some big group can divide specialities based on intrest like one see only ent other lung) or Hospital based (which can be a cancer centers, where oncologist divide specialities among themself, like one do lung/breast other do GI, or community hospital where you see every things with 80% onc 20% heme.

PP you can see lymphoma, myeloma, but leukemia usually you send to big center/academic place
 
Private Practice now have 2 types, 1) group practice (group which can be single speciality or multispeciality usually 80% onc 20% heme, some big group can divide specialities based on intrest like one see only ent other lung) or Hospital based (which can be a cancer centers, where oncologist divide specialities among themself, like one do lung/breast other do GI, or community hospital where you see every things with 80% onc 20% heme.

PP you can see lymphoma, myeloma, but leukemia usually you send to big center/academic place
In PP you see everything and treat anything. The only patients I send to the tertiary medical centers are acute leukemia patients, sarcomas, definitive liver and pancreatic surgeries, and obviously, those patients who want 2nd opinions. I have plenty of lymphoma and myeloma patients in my practice. I do try to steer sickle cell patients away from my practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In PP you see everything and treat anything. The only patients I send to the tertiary medical centers are acute leukemia patients, sarcomas, definitive liver and pancreatic surgeries, and obviously, those patients who want 2nd opinions. I have plenty of lymphoma and myeloma patients in my practice. I do try to steer sickle cell patients away from my practice.[/QUOTE]

Ouch
 
What is the difference between group practice and hospital based practice in regard to Salary, work load, etc?

Is there a job out there where you can have the luxuary of private practice (regarding salary) and the opportunity to teach????? how to find such groups. I honestly feel that recruiters are big scam at times and I do not feel comfortable going through them. Any advice?