Private practice in NYC - residencies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dianamd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am thinking to start a private practice after residency. I live in NYC and want to stay here, most likely. Does anyone have an opinion about Cornell/NYU/Sinai/Columbia for private practice? Yes, they want academic psychiatrists, and probably I would have a partial faculty practice, but mainly want to see patients on my own.

I have almost no information about this though, such as which programs will best prepare you and give you the right training to see patients on your own, basically full-time.

THANK you to any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there - I think there are only a few subtle differences among the programs in terms of preparation for private practice.

Among those you mentioned, Cornell is perhaps the most widely-known for the quality of psychotherapy training in the third and fourth year. I know that all therapy cases are 1:1 supervised by voluntary faculty in private practice. As evidence of the success of this model, a number of their graduates each year go straight into private practice, or do part-time PP and part-time inpatient, or enroll in one of the analytic training schools. That said, you would probably get on-par training at Sinai, Columbia or NYU -- the fact is that all of these programs are top notch in what they offer.

Another subtle difference: I believe Columbia and Sinai residents negotiate fees with their outpatients, whereas Cornell residents are sheltered from this aspect of patient care leaving them a bit naive to a real practice pattern. Don't really know about NYU in this regard.

As an aside, probably the most important factor in determining whether or how you set up a private practice is with which hospital you decide to work for part-time upon graduation from resideny. Each hospital has a very different "PO" or physician organization. Some take a high percentage of private practice earnings but offer insurance/office space, others take a more hands off approach. Best to ask around about this, or worry about it four years from now when you're finishing your residency! Or just set up your own shop if the economy gets better. :)

Hope that helps!