Private Practice in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Double checked you are both right (well at least in the state of Ohio cause that's the law I checked). You can practice without graduating residency so long as you got your license.

But if you moonlight without telling the program you're violating their rules, not the state medical board's rules. So the state medical board will say you were alright on their end but the program would likely not.

I agree. I just wanted to clarify that I do not think starting your own private practice in residency is a good idea; and I do not recommend violating the residency program's rules.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard of residents starting a business to do disability evaluations for SSI. Not exactly private practice, but it does avoid the requirement to be available 24/7, and it avoids providing actual medical care which probably significantly lowers your risk. Then once residency ends you're set up with office space and insurance making an easier transition into private practice and you can continue disability evals (soul sucking though thy may be) to fill in schedule gaps as your practice picks up.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard of residents starting a business to do disability evaluations for SSI. Not exactly private practice, but it does avoid the requirement to be available 24/7, and it avoids providing actual medical care which probably significantly lowers your risk. Then once residency ends you're set up with office space and insurance making an easier transition into private practice and you can continue disability evals (soul sucking though thy may be) to fill in schedule gaps as your practice picks up.

If through social security, I think that would be considered moonlighting as they arrange everything and provide space in my region to do it.

I doubt private companies would use someone that isn't board certified because unfavorable results would be easy to appeal.

Interesting idea though. I'd be interested in seeing how these residents set it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of residents starting a business to do disability evaluations for SSI.

Such an arrangement would be safer for the resident, but it too requires the residency to know about it. That too has problems associated with it but not so much for the resident. The problem I see here is I see several physicians, even with a lot of experience, having a hard time writing someone is not eligible for disability, equating getting paid to having to please the customer so to speak. Even when it's not the patient paying but a 3rd party providing the payment I've seen this happen.

Just curuous if there's been any more thoughts on this. And with the bigger push for telepsych work?

Some years back Cleveland Clinic had a psych resident open a private practice as a PGY-III, and when the resident graduated, handed it off to younger resident cohort. PD and dept chair gave their blessing to this resident. The resident did make some money, but stated moonlighting at other sources had a higher yield financially, but for learning was the clear winner.