Quantcast

Private Practice Pathologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time Path reader, first time poster....

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me into the day to day life of a private practive pathologist. My current (4th year medical student) view of a Pathologist is a physician who hangs out in a hospital doing autopsies, surg bx and aspiration interpretation, perhaps with a little academic teaching at the local med school or individual research on the side.

I understand that persons who go into BB (which I'm assuming means blood bank (please don't laugh if I'm wrong...remember, first time poster)) tends to go into private practice. Can anyone else (path trained) go into private practice?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!! :D

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Private practice pathologists are often (but not always) more generalized in their duties. They can have responsibilities in both AP and CP. Thus, taking call for blood bank, hematology, and reviewing frozen sections, pap smears and dermpath. Academic people are often more specialized, as in they will focus on one area (like surg path or blood bank).

However, there are private practice positions (like blood bank) where the job is similar - only one area of expertise. Large labs that do lots of cytology, e.g..

I think what a lot of people would tell you is that private practice means, quite often, a busier day in terms of #'s of slides or cases reviewed. But you also often see more general and simple cases. Whereas an academic might also be responsible for consult cases which require a more detailed and time consuming workup. Private practice people generally (but certainly not always) do less research.

It's variable. Sorry.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yaah said:
Private practice pathologists are often (but not always) more generalized in their duties. They can have responsibilities in both AP and CP. Thus, taking call for blood bank, hematology, and reviewing frozen sections, pap smears and dermpath. Academic people are often more specialized, as in they will focus on one area (like surg path or blood bank).

Could I do a hematopath fellowship coming out of a CP residency only, or do I need to do a AP/CP residency? I think the CP aspect of path interests me much more than the surgical aspect and for me, the extra year may be a waste. My primary interest (career wise, after residency) I suppose would be working for a cancer center doing hematopath with a heavy interest in research....any info much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

BeastNovot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I do a hematopath fellowship coming out of a CP residency only, or do I need to do a AP/CP residency? I think the CP aspect of path interests me much more than the surgical aspect and for me, the extra year may be a waste. My primary interest (career wise, after residency) I suppose would be working for a cancer center doing hematopath with a heavy interest in research....any info much appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Greetings MS05, and welcome to the forum...
Hemepath is an offshoot of surg path, as you'll be spending a lot of time looking a tissue samples (especially bone marrows) through a microscope. However, having said that, you can do a Hemepath fellowship if you've done just CP, or even if you've done just Int Med and are specializing in Heme/Onc. Hemepath is one fellowship where you can come from a variety of different disciplines...

GreatPumpkin

Mystical Treatbringer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would still be in your best interest to do a combined AP/CP program if you plan on a hemepath fellowship. I cannot emphasis enough that private practice jobs want people who are AP/CP.

So unless you know 100% that you are going into academics for the rest of your life then do both.

P.S. If you know that could you send me the winning Lotto ticket numbers for this Fridays Mega Millions Jackpot (it is up to 75 mil). :p