Private Practice Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I love neurology and I was just wondering how much I could expect to earn in Private practice as a neurologist? what are the impacts of a fellowship on salary?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I love neurology

Then it shouldn't matter how much you make. Do what you love and you will be happy.

I was just wondering how much I could expect to earn in Private practice as a neurologist?

Go to Google and search for "neurology salaries."

Or you can take my word that depending on geography and scope of work you will make between 150-350K in private practice. $200K is probably a good average.

what are the impacts of a fellowship on salary?

Depends on the fellowship. Procedure-driven stuff like EMG or sleep can make you modestly more money. Time and H&P driven stuff like neurobehavior, neuroimmuno, and movement will not and may even end up making you less since prolonged office visits don't pay too well.

Depends on the fellowship. Procedure-driven stuff like EMG or sleep can make you modestly more money. Time and H&P driven stuff like neurobehavior, neuroimmuno, and movement will not and may even end up making you less since prolonged office visits don't pay too well.

Then again, there are several neurologists who perform EMGs, read EEGs and even interpret sleep studies without fellowship training. The latter may become more difficult with the new, stricter guidelines for becoming certified in sleep medicine, but technically, you don't need to have done a fellowship to do EMGs and EEGs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then again, there are several neurologists who perform EMGs, read EEGs and even interpret sleep studies without fellowship training. The latter may become more difficult with the new, stricter guidelines for becoming certified in sleep medicine, but technically, you don't need to have done a fellowship to do EMGs and EEGs.

If you want to run an accredited sleep lab, for example, you need a sleep board certified medical director. Over the next couple years, as the "grandfathered" people retire off, the only way to get that board cert will be via a fellowship. Same for hospital based epilepsy centers. For EMG that's going to be harder to enforce, I guess, but lots of practices look for fellowship training in hiring.

Time and H&P driven stuff like neurobehavior, neuroimmuno, and movement will not and may even end up making you less since prolonged office visits don't pay too well.

Ohhhhhh...and those are my three considerations right now. But as you say, "Then it shouldn't matter how much you make. Do what you love and you will be happy." :D

Looks like you can get grandfathered into sleep medicine until 2011, but lot of extra things to do in order to qualify for this.

Physiatrist become accredited through the ABEM in order to perform EMGs, of course, neurologist are welcome to do the same. The requirement I believe are proving that you did six months of EMG rotations with 200 documented studies and taking a big exam.

Okay, lets just add to the fire a bit shall we. You can also do your own carotid dopplers if you document 100 preceptored studies and take a big exam through the american society of neuroimaging.

In my opinion, if any neurologist should be able to read a basic outpatient EEG. All of the specialized areas that come along with epilepsy: surgery evaluations, electrocorticograms, intensive monitoring, etc. That should really be left to the fellowship trained guys (in my opinion, hopefully most would agree with me on that).

There is a particular person that I know who thinks that he does not need any fellowship training and knows every loophole that I mentioned above in much more detail than I can list here. He sits and talk about money money money money!!! You know in the old cartoons where a person's eyeballs become dollar signs as they are talking??

My personal thoughts are, the amount of outside work you'd have to do to get qualified for EMG, sleep, vascular work ups, etc, although possible, would be pretty difficult to do while maintaining residency and getting ready for basic neurology boards (which are more important). I would just be easier to do the fellowship.

My personal thoughts are, the amount of outside work you'd have to do . . . would be pretty difficult to do while maintaining residency and getting ready for basic neurology boards (which are more important). I would just be easier to do the fellowship.

This is an excellent point. First of all, you're never going to qualify for sleep boards while in residency -- you'd have to do it in post-residency practice. While you can get "grandfathered" in to sleep (until 2011) by doing studies in practice, that means you have to a) find a board certified sleep doc willing to train you; b) find the time to do the required # of studies, and c) make sure that in addition to knowing "how to read sleep studies" you learn a heck of a lot of sleep-related neuro, pulm, psych, pharm, etc, because frankly, they are purposely making the sleep boards harder in order to cut out people whose only knowledge is "how to read a study" but don't really understand the bigger picture.

Similar for EMG -- you may well do 200 studies in a year if you're doing a fair amount of EMG, but you still have to "prove" to the board that it's supervised time in an "academic setting" blah blah blah -- lots of hoops to jump through.

Honestly, the route of least resistance, unless you are plugged in with a really good sleep or EMG doc on the outside who is willing to do an awful lot of teaching, would be to just do a fellowship. You're only "losing" a year of attending salary (maybe $100K difference between that and most fellowships), but in the end, I think it's probably time well spent in terms of knowledge gained.