Private Practice Scribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudmurder1

Average Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for somebody with no scribing experience to find a scribing job and training opportunity in a private practice setting? I hear that scribing in hospitals is often inflexible for most who do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear that scribing in hospitals is often inflexible for most who do it.

Seriously? I've heard the exact opposite. It's the kind of job made for college students, so it has to be flexible.

I'll grant you though that the hours are long when you actually have your shift. But shift scheduling itself is flexible - that's what I'm saying.

Yes it is possible. Will likely be difficult with no previous experience but that depends on the provider you work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? I've heard the exact opposite. It's the kind of job made for college students, so it has to be flexible.

I'll grant you though that the hours are long when you actually have your shift. But shift scheduling itself is flexible - that's what I'm saying.

Flexible enough for someone to come and go for an hour and a half in order to attend class?

Flexible enough for someone to come and go for an hour and a half in order to attend class?

No see that's what I was saying. When you're there, you need to be there for a full 8-12 hours. But, the idea is you have flexibility in when you can schedule that block of time, and you could even switch around your shifts with appropriate notice.

I don't think coming and going every hour is going to appropriate for nearly any job besides research or some other on-campus, student-specific work/study job where a consistent presence is not necessary as long as the work is done at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not. Private practice is generally more full-time work as it's not ED and you're in some specialty.

I got a job with a privately operated orthopedic group with no experience, just the anatomy and physiology coursework and proficiency with computers. I currently work in an oncology clinic. I was never formally trained to scribe, and picked it up quickly and performed well.