Private school grants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amida

The Amida Buddha
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most private schools give grants to incoming students or do all students have to take 30-40k in loans every year?

Members don't see this ad.

Amida said:
Do most private schools give grants to incoming students or do all students have to take 30-40k in loans every year?

I'm not sure I know enough to say that MOST do, but it's definitely true that many private schools give grant money. Many also give scholarship money, independent of demonstrated financial need. But there's enormous variability in the amount of grant money available/offered to students at private schools. For example, when I was applying I was offered around $20,000 in grant money from Duke, $10,000 from Penn, and about $4,000 from Pitt. At Pitt I would have had to take out private loans, but at Duke I've been able to borrow only through the subsidized government loans program (Stafford Loans, etc.). So which school you're talking about makes a HUGE difference.