Private School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a list of private dental schools. Am I missing any?

Also, which public schools are quite "generous" to international students (Canadian) in terms of academic performance? Thanks

Boston
Case Western Reserve
Columbia
Creighton
Detroit Mercy
Howard
Harvard > <
Loma Linda
Marquette
Meharry
New York
Nova Southeastern
Pacific
Pennsylvania
Southern California
Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't Pitt's private too?

Pitts is public school.

I've heard people saying "If you are out of state applicants, don't even think about applying to Georgia, Indiana, and etc.. etc..

which public schools are "easier" (not easy) to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
mwsung said:
Pitts is public school.

I've heard people saying "If you are out of state applicants, don't even think about applying to Georgia, Indiana, and etc.. etc..

which public schools are "easier" (not easy) to get in?

False, Indiana accepts a larger number of out of state applicants than most public universities, I say go ahead and apply there. Georgia, on the other hand is certainly different. From my knowledge, both Illinois schools are hard to get into if you are out of state, but I would suggest Michigan if you have descent stats.

CA (except USC and UOP) and TX schools are also hard to get into as an out-of-state applicant.

Buffalo is a public school that is friendly towards Canadians

Pitts is private!

Pitts is like Temple.....they are semi-private. They show no preference, but if you are instate, you get a tuition deduction at both schools.

Arizona is also a private school

OREGON is now run as a public non profit corp. The receive only about 5% funding from the state, so their status is a bit ambiguous

ecdoesit said:
Arizona is also a private school

Arizona does not accept Canadians or any other foreigner......gotta have citizenship or a greencard....

Members don't see this ad :)
avingupta said:
Arizona does not accept Canadians or any other foreigner......gotta have citizenship or a greencard....

That's ridiculous!

Mo007 said:
That's ridiculous!

Not really, because it's a PRIVATE school.

(But I see your point).

On the flip side, one of our deans is from Canada, and the instructor for our Dental Hard Tissues module was from Canada. He was far and away the best instructor we've had yet (and he teaches at two Canadian dental schools).

Avingupta,

You seem to know a lot about schools.
Then, which public schools are "canadian friendly"? (reasonable stats, lower the better)

so far, based on this thread, I've got

Buffalo
Indiana
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan
Pittsburg
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth

Anything else? I want something CHEAPER, too!!
My precious Canadian dollars > <!!!

And, I'm pretty sure all private schools will accept international since they are "Private"!!! (where all our $$$ go)

The reason is I'd like to apply to public schools due to high tuition cost of private schools. some privates are not too bad (USC, UOP Columbia, they are crazy) such as Nova, Creighton etc... I assume less than $160K is just fine as private.

Nova Southeastern dental school is the cheapest dental school as far as Canadians are concerned (excluding WVU). State schools cost more because we are considered out of state students, so it is definitely not cheaper compared to Nova. I think Buffalo costs about the same as Nova does. Hope that helps

I dont know much about all the dental schools, only the ones I applied to. If I were you, I would buy the ADEA book on dental schools....its something like $35 and it should be your dental school application bible. It tells you everything you need to know.....EVERYTHING!!

NOVA and Creighton are the cheapest private dental schools. Arizona's tuition is right behind them. I don't know how the other play out at the other end of the spectrum, though.

avingupta hit it right on the money with the ADEA book--tons of info and current stats, for a low price!

Nova and Creighton are the two cheapest, but I do not know their history on accepting Canadians. UDM is very competitive tuition wise; it is 31,000 compare to Nova?s 29500. Also UDM is across the river from Windsor Canada, and they are pretty friendly to Canadians. I think they have 7 Canadians in their 2006 class.

Thaxil said:
UDM is very competitive tuition wise; it is 31,000 compare to Nova?s 29500.

However, I know DS2 students say that UDM is jacking up the tuition fee to cover the construction and move of the new dental school at the main campus in 4 or 5 years. They will be extremely busy between now and then to initiate and establish this transition.

Each year, Nova Dental has about 2-3 Canadians in each class. Not a lot, but a few.

Yah-E man,
does that mean there is some kind of quota??
or is there a limited seat reserved for Canadians?

since Nova is a private school, they look at all applicants as the same,
am I right?

maybe 2~3 Canadians, you mean only few Canadians apply there and get accepted?