WAMC/School List (2026-2027 Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of Submission: Upcoming Application Cycle (Early June)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.94
DAT Score: 24 AA 24 TS 25 PAT 26 QR 23 RC 23 BIO 23 GC 27 OC
State of Residence: Michigan

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~160 hours all general dentistry

Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours (50 hours tutoring at-risk youth, 50 hours volunteering with an adaptive recreation service); Will also start volunteer tutoring through my university throughout the summer.

Employment: Supplemental Instructor (Organic Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology) - ~500 hours; Peer Tutor (STEM Courses) - ~200 hours; Dental Assistant - ~300 hours

Research: 1000+ hours, 4th author on 2 posters, sole-author poster, honors college thesis with distinction, in process of writing sole author manuscript, some research awards from my university

Other Extracurriculars: President of University Chess Club (2yrs), Vice President of Mental Health University Club (1yr), University Pre-Dental Club Member

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No

Relevant Honors or Awards: President's Award for GPA, Research Awards for Summer Funding

LOR type and strength: Dentist (Strong), PI (Strong), Science Professor (Strong), Director of Supplemental Instructor/Tutors at University (Strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A

School List:
1. University of Michigan
2. University of Detroit Mercy
3. Marquette University
4. University of North Carolina
5. University of Maryland
6. University of Iowa
7. University of Buffalo
8. University of California San Francisco
9. Ohio State University
10. Case Western Reserve University
11. Harvard University
12. Indiana University

I believe I have a very solid application and god-willing will get into my top choice schools. My major issues is that my volunteer hours are pretty low, and all happened within the same 10ish months. I also am having troubles with writing a great personal statement, and hope that an okay PS doesn't take away from my application. I am applying to the HPSP scholarship as well, so hopefully tuition won't be an issue at these schools. If anyone could guide me with advice about these schools, if there's any I should take off or maybe add on, and any knowledge on the HPSP application competitiveness, I would greatly appreciate it!
 
Date of Submission: Upcoming Application Cycle (Early June)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.94
DAT Score: 24 AA 24 TS 25 PAT 26 QR 23 RC 23 BIO 23 GC 27 OC
State of Residence: Michigan

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~160 hours all general dentistry

Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours (50 hours tutoring at-risk youth, 50 hours volunteering with an adaptive recreation service); Will also start volunteer tutoring through my university throughout the summer.

Employment: Supplemental Instructor (Organic Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology) - ~500 hours; Peer Tutor (STEM Courses) - ~200 hours; Dental Assistant - ~300 hours

Research: 1000+ hours, 4th author on 2 posters, sole-author poster, honors college thesis with distinction, in process of writing sole author manuscript, some research awards from my university

Other Extracurriculars: President of University Chess Club (2yrs), Vice President of Mental Health University Club (1yr), University Pre-Dental Club Member

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No

Relevant Honors or Awards: President's Award for GPA, Research Awards for Summer Funding

LOR type and strength: Dentist (Strong), PI (Strong), Science Professor (Strong), Director of Supplemental Instructor/Tutors at University (Strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A

School List:
1. University of Michigan
2. University of Detroit Mercy
3. Marquette University
4. University of North Carolina
5. University of Maryland
6. University of Iowa
7. University of Buffalo
8. University of California San Francisco
9. Ohio State University
10. Case Western Reserve University
11. Harvard University
12. Indiana University

I believe I have a very solid application and god-willing will get into my top choice schools. My major issues is that my volunteer hours are pretty low, and all happened within the same 10ish months. I also am having troubles with writing a great personal statement, and hope that an okay PS doesn't take away from my application. I am applying to the HPSP scholarship as well, so hopefully tuition won't be an issue at these schools. If anyone could guide me with advice about these schools, if there's any I should take off or maybe add on, and any knowledge on the HPSP application competitiveness, I would greatly appreciate it!
how did you come up with this list?
 
how did you come up with this list?
The main things I focused on were in this order: Cost, Location (Near Michigan), Specialty Opportunities, Research Possibilities. This meant mostly Midwestish schools (UNC, UBuffalo, Harvard are further but aren’t terrible, UCSF is the outlier I know) that either had lower tuition or it was possible to get in-state tuition after a year. I also looked on forums and stuff to try and get a feel for the schools but that was pretty difficult.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The main things I focused on were in this order: Cost, Location (Near Michigan), Specialty Opportunities, Research Possibilities. This meant mostly Midwestish schools (UNC, UBuffalo, Harvard are further but aren’t terrible, UCSF is the outlier I know) that either had lower tuition or it was possible to get in-state tuition after a year. I also looked on forums and stuff to try and get a feel for the schools but that was pretty difficult.
you get interview invites and acceptances by having mission fit with schools
that said, your stats should carry you well...
 
You have great metrics, and you should get a fair amount of attention. Clearly articulate your purpose as a dentist, and bolster your credit score.

However, I am wary about your volunteering. You are mostly teaching/tutoring, even with underserved students; this won't help you stand out in a competitive pool. But you don't have activities that show that you are connecting with others' daily needs (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation); that could be enough to leave you off an interview list at schools you really want to hear from. That certainly may be a factor in why you are having trouble crafting a personal statement.

HPSP competitiveness: you bet it would be very challenging. Good luck!
 
You have great metrics, and you should get a fair amount of attention. Clearly articulate your purpose as a dentist, and bolster your credit score.

However, I am wary about your volunteering. You are mostly teaching/tutoring, even with underserved students; this won't help you stand out in a competitive pool. But you don't have activities that show that you are connecting with others' daily needs (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, housing rehabilitation); that could be enough to leave you off an interview list at schools you really want to hear from. That certainly may be a factor in why you are having trouble crafting a personal statement.

HPSP competitiveness: you bet it would be very challenging. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it! With there being about a month till applications open, do you think it would be beneficial to try and volunteer for a food bank or an unhoused persons shelter or would adcoms see it as trying to statpad volunteer hours before I apply?
 
Thank you so much for the feedback, I appreciate it! With there being about a month till applications open, do you think it would be beneficial to try and volunteer for a food bank or an unhoused persons shelter or would adcoms see it as trying to statpad volunteer hours before I apply?
It's too late to say you should have started yesterday. Find an opportunity that reflects your concern for your community and stick with it. The alternative is you have zero, and that's all the more reason to screen out your file for many programs. It will matter to those who care. In the meantime, I mention that as a source of your difficulties with a good PS, so I don't know how to help you without you doing the work. Or knowing what you have drafted.

Remember, your peers and schools have shown a strong connection with patients and the communities that support them. You should know through your activities about the impact of social determinants on oral health. Unless you're going to say it's all about the money.

Sarcastic Gold Digger GIF by Amazon miniTV
 
Last edited:
It's too late to say you should have started yesterday. Find an opportunity that reflects your concern for your community and stick with it. The alternative is you have zero, and that's all the more reason to screen out your file for many programs. It will matter to those who care. In the meantime, I mention that as a source of your difficulties with a good PS, so I don't know how to help you without you doing the work. Or knowing what you have drafted.

Remember, your peers and schools have shown a strong connection with patients and the communities that support them. You should know through your activities about the impact of social determinants on oral health. Unless you're going to say it's all about the money.

Sarcastic Gold Digger GIF by Amazon miniTV
I (hopefully) think the overall outline of my personal statement is pretty good regarding social determinants on oral health. The dental clinic I shadowed and then assisted at I have worked with and assisted many patients who are first-generation Americans or immigrants or who are on Medicaid, a big component of my personal statement is about them and how they’ve told me they’ve felt insecure or uncomfortable at other clinics, especially those who don’t try and accommodate them through their native language (large amount of hispanic and middle eastern patients who speak English as a second language). Helping out patients who may not have the same access to oral health as others and who have felt alienated because they aren’t “American” has been a big reason in me like continuing on my pre dental path. I just haven’t been able to really show that through my volunteering I guess. It’s hard to fit it in with school + work + research + everything else in life.

I’d also like to ask, the mental health club at my university I run has been very much involved in many volunteer events with AFSP and other suicide prevention and mental health related organizations. Would this also be volunteering, or does this fall more under extracurriculars?
 
Date of Submission: Upcoming Application Cycle (Early June)
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.94
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.94
DAT Score: 24 AA 24 TS 25 PAT 26 QR 23 RC 23 BIO 23 GC 27 OC
State of Residence: Michigan

Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~160 hours all general dentistry

Volunteering Experience: ~100 hours (50 hours tutoring at-risk youth, 50 hours volunteering with an adaptive recreation service); Will also start volunteer tutoring through my university throughout the summer.

Employment: Supplemental Instructor (Organic Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology) - ~500 hours; Peer Tutor (STEM Courses) - ~200 hours; Dental Assistant - ~300 hours

Research: 1000+ hours, 4th author on 2 posters, sole-author poster, honors college thesis with distinction, in process of writing sole author manuscript, some research awards from my university

Other Extracurriculars: President of University Chess Club (2yrs), Vice President of Mental Health University Club (1yr), University Pre-Dental Club Member

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No

Relevant Honors or Awards: President's Award for GPA, Research Awards for Summer Funding

LOR type and strength: Dentist (Strong), PI (Strong), Science Professor (Strong), Director of Supplemental Instructor/Tutors at University (Strong)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: N/A

School List:
1. University of Michigan
2. University of Detroit Mercy
3. Marquette University
4. University of North Carolina
5. University of Maryland
6. University of Iowa
7. University of Buffalo
8. University of California San Francisco
9. Ohio State University
10. Case Western Reserve University
11. Harvard University
12. Indiana University

I believe I have a very solid application and god-willing will get into my top choice schools. My major issues is that my volunteer hours are pretty low, and all happened within the same 10ish months. I also am having troubles with writing a great personal statement, and hope that an okay PS doesn't take away from my application. I am applying to the HPSP scholarship as well, so hopefully tuition won't be an issue at these schools. If anyone could guide me with advice about these schools, if there's any I should take off or maybe add on, and any knowledge on the HPSP application competitiveness, I would greatly appreciate it!
what does your research involve?
 
what does your research involve?
I work in a spectroelectrochemistry (SEC) research lab, the main purpose of our lab is on improving catalysts that use electricity to convert carbon dioxide into useful chemicals. I work with certain electrocatalysts and see what ways we can optimize them for electrochemical carbon dioxide reduction reaction (CO2RR). It's most a physical/electrochemistry lab, with kind of an environmental focus.
 
I (hopefully) think the overall outline of my personal statement is pretty good regarding social determinants on oral health. The dental clinic I shadowed and then assisted at I have worked with and assisted many patients who are first-generation Americans or immigrants or who are on Medicaid, a big component of my personal statement is about them and how they’ve told me they’ve felt insecure or uncomfortable at other clinics, especially those who don’t try and accommodate them through their native language (large amount of hispanic and middle eastern patients who speak English as a second language). Helping out patients who may not have the same access to oral health as others and who have felt alienated because they aren’t “American” has been a big reason in me like continuing on my pre dental path. I just haven’t been able to really show that through my volunteering I guess. It’s hard to fit it in with school + work + research + everything else in life.

I don't see how this description makes you any different from other predental students who also serve in free dental clinics and may have more insight because the patients don't have a medical/dental home. These stories are very common in the pool.

It might have helped you to network with the dental schools before you began the application process. Many have posted on social media about recent recruitment "Impressions Day" events at various dental schools earlier in the winter/spring, and it appears you may have missed those opportunities. I'm just noting you have a lot of strong recommenders, but you lack mentoring when it comes to preparing your application.

Again, I would be shocked if Michigan or Detroit Mercy doesn't give your application a favorable review. Some of the others within a reasonable distance from Michigan may also be amenable, as would the large-enrollment privates.

I’d also like to ask, the mental health club at my university I run has been very much involved in many volunteer events with AFSP and other suicide prevention and mental health related organizations. Would this also be volunteering, or does this fall more under extracurriculars?

This question focuses on how to classify your work. I'm sure you can call it volunteering or a campus activity. It depends on how you describe it and how admissions committee view it. A solid definition relies on the impact of your work. Fundraising or awareness can easily be "volunteering," but it may not have the same service orientation impact as a shelter volunteer would. We don't have your app, and we can't predict how adcoms will value it, but I'm just saying you still don't have a lot of impactful community service (from what you have described).

To that end, I will question your inclusion of the following schools:

University of Iowa (rural underserved, too)
University of California San Francisco (much more patient diversity, lack of demonstrated community impact)
Harvard University (no research connection, lack of demonstrated community impact)
Indiana University (patient diversity)

Please let me know how these schools will support your training goals to be the future dentist you want to be.
 
Last edited:
I don't see how this description makes you any different from other predental students who also serve in free dental clinics and may have more insight because the patients don't have a medical/dental home. These stories are very common in the pool.

It might have helped you to network with the dental schools before you began the application process. Many have posted on social media about recent recruitment "Impressions Day" events at various dental schools earlier in the winter/spring, and it appears you may have missed those opportunities. I'm just noting you have a lot of strong recommenders, but you lack mentoring when it comes to preparing your application.

Again, I would be shocked if Michigan or Detroit Mercy doesn't give your application a favorable review. Some of the others within a reasonable distance from Michigan may also be amenable, as would the large-enrollment privates.



This question focuses on how to classify your work. I'm sure you can call it volunteering or a campus activity. It depends on how you describe it and how admissions committee view it. A solid definition relies on the impact of your work. Fundraising or awareness can easily be "volunteering," but it may not have the same service orientation impact as a shelter volunteer would. We don't have your app, and we can't predict how adcoms will value it, but I'm just saying you still don't have a lot of impactful community service (from what you have described).

To that end, I will question your inclusion of the following schools:

University of Iowa (rural underserved, too)
University of California San Francisco (much more patient diversity, lack of demonstrated community impact)
Harvard University (no research connection, lack of demonstrated community impact)
Indiana University (patient diversity)

Please let me know how these schools will support your training goals to be the future dentist you want to be.

Yeah, I don't think my personal statement will be particularly unique, but I guess I would rather talk about the actual reason I want to be a dentist, then try and spin something unique about my non-unique dental journey. In your opinion, is it a bad idea to focus on this topic for the personal statement?

I saw some of the Impression Day events for Michigan and Detroit Mercy but it really wasn't that possible for me to do (at least in-person ones), and I didn't think it would be very important if I didn't go to them, though I guess that might've been a mistake haha.

Volunteering/Community Service is clearly the weakest part of my application, but I really do enjoy the volunteering I do, and I feel like I'm passionate about it, even if it isn't dental related or super impactful. I can definitely see it weighing me down though, especially with dental schools that prioritize community impact and underserved communities more.

For the four schools you put there, most of the reason they are on there is because I've been told from pre-professional advisors at my university that I need to "apply more broadly". I originally had about 7ish schools I wanted to apply too (UMich, UDM, Marquette, UMD, UNC, UBuffalo, CWRU/OSU). I have major family in Iowa, and a cousin who graduated from University of Iowa who told me how he enjoyed his time there so I added it. Harvard and UCSF I know are major research schools and as someone who has been doing research since freshman year of college, I would love to continue doing research in dental school if possible. Honestly though, judging by your thoughts I should probably take these four schools off my list and focus on the seven I mentioned above. I just don't want to apply to too little schools and not get in anywhere.
 
I just don't want to apply to too little schools and not get in anywhere.
If you're looking for an acceptance, the number of schools isn't a problem. It's what schools you apply to. To be frank, Harvard and UCSF are most likely donations if you choose to apply. I know it's anecdotal but I have a friend who made it to Harvard but he had a 28 DAT. Their class size is 35 so it's an elite group. You have to have something really stand out in your application. I think you're also underestimating how much of a role geography plays. As a general rule, if you're applying to a school a couple states away you have a very low chance unless you have some sort of connection or if it's a private school that is OOS friendly (no matter your application/stats). With that being said, UDM and Michigan should be pretty confident acceptances (assuming a good PS). I wouldn't stress if I were you, but I'd only apply to Harvard/UCSF only if you'll have no regrets if it ends up a waste of money.
 
If you're looking for an acceptance, the number of schools isn't a problem. It's what schools you apply to. To be frank, Harvard and UCSF are most likely donations if you choose to apply. I know it's anecdotal but I have a friend who made it to Harvard but he had a 28 DAT. Their class size is 35 so it's an elite group. You have to have something really stand out in your application. I think you're also underestimating how much of a role geography plays. As a general rule, if you're applying to a school a couple states away you have a very low chance unless you have some sort of connection or if it's a private school that is OOS friendly (no matter your application/stats). With that being said, UDM and Michigan should be pretty confident acceptances (assuming a good PS). I wouldn't stress if I were you, but I'd only apply to Harvard/UCSF only if you'll have no regrets if it ends up a waste of money.
Alright, thank you I appreciate it! I’m very much retooling my school list based off all the suggestions made to me.
 
Alright, thank you I appreciate it! I’m very much retooling my school list based off all the suggestions made to me.
i disagree about harvard and ucsf being a waste of time and money
if op is willing to go if accepted, and realizes that it is a reach, they can certainly apply
especially considering their stats and the fact that OP's list would only have a couple reaches if harvard and ucsf are removed...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think for my big reach school I will just have UCSF. I agree that Harvard might be too out of my reach with just a small class size. Both Penn and Columbia have super high tuition and I’d rather not come out of school and be in debt up to my ears. I thank you all so much for all the help, I really do appreciate any advice. I think my updated school list will be:

1. Michigan
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Marquette
4. Maryland
5. Buffalo
6. North Carolina
7. UCSF
8. OSU

I think UNC and UCSF are reaches, but none of the other six are, and hopefully Michigan and UDM are safer.
 
I think for my big reach school I will just have UCSF. I agree that Harvard might be too out of my reach with just a small class size. Both Penn and Columbia have super high tuition and I’d rather not come out of school and be in debt up to my ears. I thank you all so much for all the help, I really do appreciate any advice. I think my updated school list will be:

1. Michigan
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Marquette
4. Maryland
5. Buffalo
6. North Carolina
7. UCSF
8. OSU

I think UNC and UCSF are reaches, but none of the other six are, and hopefully Michigan and UDM are safer.
have you checked the OOS and Michigan acceptance stats for buffalo and maryland and OSU?
you need to be aware of your chances at those schools, they may be more of a reach than you think...
 
have you checked the OOS and Michigan acceptance stats for buffalo and maryland and OSU?
you need to be aware of your chances at those schools, they may be more of a reach than you think...
On their admissions website, Buffalo says this: “New York State residents are not given preference in the admissions process. While many applicants are from New York due to our status as a state institution, all applicants are evaluated equally. We do not have quotas for the number of New York State residents admitted each year. Typically, about 30–35% of our incoming class is from outside New York State, including Canadian and other international students.”

Maryland’s class profile from the last couple years shows an OOS rate between like 20-33%, which I would say is pretty decent for a state school.

For OSU I couldn’t really find anything recent, but for class of 2025 they had 11% of students OOS, which isn’t that great but looking up like MSU and WSU and other Michigan schools all of them have had students accepted to OSU every year.

So Maryland and Buffalo seem decently OOS friendly I wouldn’t call them reaches, OSU I can see it being a reach though.
 
On their admissions website, Buffalo says this: “New York State residents are not given preference in the admissions process. While many applicants are from New York due to our status as a state institution, all applicants are evaluated equally. We do not have quotas for the number of New York State residents admitted each year. Typically, about 30–35% of our incoming class is from outside New York State, including Canadian and other international students.”

Maryland’s class profile from the last couple years shows an OOS rate between like 20-33%, which I would say is pretty decent for a state school.

For OSU I couldn’t really find anything recent, but for class of 2025 they had 11% of students OOS, which isn’t that great but looking up like MSU and WSU and other Michigan schools all of them have had students accepted to OSU every year.

So Maryland and Buffalo seem decently OOS friendly I wouldn’t call them reaches, OSU I can see it being a reach though.
any school that offers instate tuition after one year is going to be more competitive for OOS students
also, information on who got admitted each year from which state to which school is available online
so you could see how many MI students are admitted each year...
 
any school that offers instate tuition after one year is going to be more competitive for OOS students
also, information on who got admitted each year from which state to which school is available online
so you could see how many MI students are admitted each year...
that said, your stats are outstanding, so you have a shot at most schools...