Probably a Stupid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpPleaseMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Kaplan the intraerthyro protozoic form of malaria is highly dependent on NK cells because erythrocytes do not have MHC receptors of any kind.

What is preventing the NK cells from lysing the normal rbcs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine its because the RBCs have other antigens/proteins on their surface (e.g. blood group types). NK cells kill when exposed to nonspecific signals and/OR an absence of class I MHC.

Although not necessarily related, it gets the concept across, RBCs have DAF which if is lacking will result in lysis of RBCs when the patient is sleeping due to complement. There are probably other mechanisms in place to prevent NK killing.

I would imagine its because the RBCs have other antigens/proteins on their surface (e.g. blood group types). NK cells kill when exposed to nonspecific signals and/OR an absence of class I MHC.

Although not necessarily related, it gets the concept across, RBCs have DAF which if is lacking will result in lysis of RBCs when the patient is sleeping due to complement. There are probably other mechanisms in place to prevent NK killing.

According to UWORLD pathoma's explanation of PNH has been disproven and that it only appears that way because we concentrate the urine when we are sleeping