Probably reapplying, re-take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prateek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Stats:
cGPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 9V, 12P, 13B, R - 34R

I applied to Mt Sinai, Dartmouth, Columbia, George Washington, Rosalind Franklin, Mayo, SUNY Upstate this past admission cycle and got interviewed and subsequently waitlisted at GWU. So, I'm going to apply again this upcoming year in case it doesn't work out at GWU

Just wondering if I should retake the MCAT with a 34R in the summer while I re-apply, or just go ahead with re-applying with my current score and focus on jobs/volunteering over the summer.

Last year my applications were complete around October since my MCAT didn't come in till mid-September, so at least this year I should be done relatively early (in June/July) and hopefully that will help my chances

Thanks all :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would not retake. A 34 is a good score. You need to apply way more broadly. 7 schools is not enough.

What's the rest of your app look like?

cGPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 9V, 12P, 13B, R - 34R

I applied to Mt Sinai, Dartmouth, Columbia, George Washington, Rosalind Franklin, Mayo, SUNY Upstate this past admission cycle and got interviewed and subsequently waitlisted at GWU.

Just wondering if I should retake the MCAT with a 34R
Noooooooooo!

And don't just tell us your ECs, rather, show us what you applied with and what improvements you'll have made for this coming cycle, please. If those are strong and you are confident in your LORs, then applying early may be the main improvement you needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying as early as possible and broadly to a wide variety of schools is what you need to do. Your stats are very good and there is no reason for you not to get an acceptance. Make sure to apply to lower tier schools and get an MSAR. Apply to at least 14 schools. Include lower tier schools like albany medical college, NYMC, Rush, Loyola, Wayne State, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Drexel, Temple, and Tulane.

I would not retake mcat. I would apply to at least 20 to 30 schools. Its not too late to try to boost EC activities which you can add to your files as updates or when interviewing. Consider MCW, SLU, VCU, Jefferson, Einstein, all of your instate public schools. Also look at any OOS public shcools which take at least 25% oos.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply but thanks :) I decided not to re-do an MCAT for this application cycle but worst case scenario I might do it next January

My activities for this upcoming cycle were:

- Testing (summer 2005) and Packaging (summer 2006) department for a circuit board design company [35 hours/week]

- Summer intern in summer of 2007 at a pharmaceutical financial company [40 hours/week]

- Human resources (summer 2008) and Underwriting (summer 2009) [40 hours/week] at a trucking insurance company doing filing, mailing and double checking policies etc.

- Emergency department volunteer at Sick Children's Hospital (Summer 2009 till now --> 3 hours/week). Interacting with the patients and their families and making sure everyone is all happy during their stay at the department and helping with internal flow of patients in the department

- Event coordinator in a campus Right to Play club (Jan. 2010 - Present) where I was in charge of organizing events with members of the team and establishing partnerships with other clubs on campus

- Homework club and conversation circle volunteer (Feb 2010 - present). Helping high school students with their homework; helping new immigrant youth establish job application skills such as resumes, cover letters etc. and assisting them with applications

- Heart and Stroke Foundation events volunteer (May 2010 - present). Helped with many different events to support the charity

- Undergraduate research assistant (May 2010 - Present). Undertook a 4th year research project: ran experiments, proposed project objectives, background research, wrote a thesis paper + presented to faculty at end of semester

- Friendly visitor and dining enhancement volunteer at long-term care center (May 2010 - August 2010 and again right now). Worked with an elderly man to create an oral history audiotape based on his past experiences for his daughter. Also talked with a lot of other elderly people and helped them with daily tasks and dining

- Blood tranfusion and genitourinary cancer clinic volunteer (August 2010 - June 2011), interacted with patients who were undergoing cancer treatment about their experiences

- Mental wellness peer educator on campus (August 2010 - April 2011)

- Served on various volunteer committees both in university and on non-profit organizations

- Professor presented a poster from my research in 4th year at national conference

- Honours list each year + scholarship each year and Scholar's List (given to 20 people in each year level)

This year I'm applying to: Boston U, Case Western, Dartmouth, GWU again (currently waitlisted), Mayo, NYMC, Northwestern, Pritzker, Pittsburgh, U of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth

I'm thinking about adding 1 more lower-middle tier university, but keep in mind I'm a Canadian student and a lot of universities aren't willing to accept us :)

Thanks for the help!

I recommenced you apply to some more institutions your STATS are great and you will get multiple interviews.Just don't put your self at a disadvantage by applying to 6 schools again.At lease 20!!!!

No need at all for an MCAT retake!!! Just apply as soon as possible this year and you will be set.

applying early is the key for you. i applied very late the first cycle with a 31 and a 3.9, got some interviews, waitlisted, didnt get in. I applied very early the next cycle and was one of the first people accepted at some schools. apply early and put some less competitive schools on ur list and ur in no problem

Thanks for the help guys :) Hoping it works out this year

apply tomorrow! you will get in! (i wish i had your stats :( )