probation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started residency and I am terrified that every mistake I make will get me on probation, and yet everyone says people make mistakes in residency. What kind of mistake gets a person on probation versus just a regular mistake?

Members don't see this ad.

I just started residency and I am terrified that every mistake I make will get me on probation, and yet everyone says people make mistakes in residency. What kind of mistake gets a person on probation versus just a regular mistake?
One mistake won't get you on probation...unless it's inappropriate behavior with a patient.

99.99% of the mistakes you make will be "regular". Relax and do your job.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless it's something sex/drugs/rock+roll related (and probably not rock & roll), no single mistake lands you on probation. Patterns of behavior where mistakes are pointed out to you multiple times without any improvement on your end over weeks/months are what land you on probation.

Reactions: 1 users
remember that Miami neurology resident who was all over the media for a drunken brawl - those are type of errors that ll get u into big trouble. Failing to submit a discharge summary within 72 hours wont get u fired

Reactions: 1 users
We're talking bigger picture than the day to day stuff here. We all made mistakes during intern year. Most programs know and understand that.

As long as you are in the majority of normal decent programs, don't worry about it.

Just in the back of your mind always think: Am I doing what's best to represent this institution and am I doing what's best for the patient.

If you falter on one of those things but don't oppose them (forget to get AM labs once or twice, repeatedly forget to wear your ID badge, etc), it's ok (Think 'I'm trying my best, but I faltered and didn't do it purposefully against what I should be doing'). If you do something that opposes them (inappropriate with patient, come to work drunk), then you're in for problems (Think, 'This actin specifically actively opposes what I'm supposed to be doing).

You will make mistakes. You will get called on your mistakes. You will feel s**try about it.

The correct response when this happens is "sorry, sir or ma'am, I see what I did wrong, I will take action X to make sure it does not happen again." Then do action X. Consistently and reliably.

It's when you fail to do this or you show yourself unable to understand what you are doing wrong that you get into trouble.