Problem Based Learning and System Based

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie68

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a fair amount of reading and then looking through the curriculum area on school websites it seems a lot of the schools use at least some problem based learning. Does anyone have any opinions on which DO schools are using PBL and system based equally, or which schools are leaning toward one teaching method extensively? Thanks for any info. I think it would be a big help for many who are just at the application stage.

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM - 2009 class had about 40 students in DPC(NYCOM's PBL class) and the rest in lecture. You had to apply to the DPC program. For now it seems they want to have both as an option.

Lecture is systems based.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Lake Erie- Bradenton PBL program?

I tried to research it but I don't seem to find much info on it besides the website and the website still does not give me any info that I am really looking for?

How well does this PBL program prepare you for the boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools are systems based...i know KC is...

Touro Nevada is systems based, but we do get a token amount of PBL (half a credit). I enjoyed our PBL class, but I think it would be difficult to try and learn everything that way. I think the best curriculums have a healthy blend of the two. I think systems based is best for learning subjects like biochemistry and physiology while PBL based is best for learning subjects like clinical medicine.

AlberttheGator said:

I tried to research it but I don't seem to find much info on it besides the website and the website still does not give me any info that I am really looking for?

LECOM B here, love the PBL, don't know how I did lecture in undergrad... Send me a message if you would like specific likes and dislikes, I tend to get long-winded.

My wife was looking at the veterinary school at Western, and they seemed to be very in to PBL. I am assuming the D.O. is similiar.

blondie68 said:
After doing a fair amount of reading and then looking through the curriculum area on school websites it seems a lot of the schools use at least some problem based learning. Does anyone have any opinions on which DO schools are using PBL and system based equally, or which schools are leaning toward one teaching method extensively? Thanks for any info. I think it would be a big help for many who are just at the application stage.

I'm a fan of system based learning. It requires that you learn complex things like pathology and pharmacology in the first semester of medical school.

OSU-COM uses a traditional subject-based approach, learning the normal body and first and then adding in the abnormal, but more of in a spiral approach, adding on layers of detail each semester to what you already know. I believe that this is a better way to recall information, instead of learning an organ system one month and then never touching it again.

OSU-COM has a problem-based learning courses, which is a large part of the second-year curriculum, and I have found to be extremely helpful prior to rotations.

OSUdoc08 said:

OSU-COM uses a traditional subject-based approach, learning the normal body and first and then adding in the abnormal, but more of in a spiral approach, adding on layers of detail each semester to what you already know. I believe that this is a better way to recall information, instead of learning an organ system one month and then never touching it again.

That's what really appeals to me about OSUCOM. I wish they took more OOS applicants, though.... seems like throwing away application money to try it.

Orthodoc40 said:
That's what really appeals to me about OSUCOM. I wish they took more OOS applicants, though.... seems like throwing away application money to try it.

That's what I thought.......I recieved an interview during the first week of interviews that year, and was promptly admitted a week later.

Don't count it out.

WHAT?!
You mean you didn't get much out of that video of the well dressed kid standing in the library reading from a CUe card for about 15 seconds about how great the PBL program is? It was invigorating to say the least (please detect my sarchasm here) I also love the idea of the PBL programs but can't really get a straight answer from any of the websites.

No...Western/COMP is Systems based. Their Vet and Pharm programs are PBL.

PCOM is integrated which means you take the sciences: Anatomy, Histo and Development one trimester, Biochem, immuno, micro another trimester. Then you switch to system based. They are also planning to add some case based learning to each sytem. In the end, we will be alittle of everything

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM B here, love the PBL, don't know how I did lecture in undergrad... Send me a message if you would like specific likes and dislikes, I tend to get long-winded.

I read that at LECOM (Seton Hill), they have only PBL, and you work with 7 other med students. Do you work with those same students for the entire time? (first two years)

I read that at LECOM (Seton Hill), they have only PBL, and you work with 7 other med students. Do you work with those same students for the entire time? (first two years)

When I went to the interview at LECOM for Erie/Seton Hill, we were told that the student groups for PBL are changed frequently so you are not stuck with the same people all the time.

LECOM-B has had the highest COMLEX scores for the past couple of years and boasts a 100% pass rate for the past 2 years (someone correct me if I got that wrong).

So I'd say that PBL helps to prepare you for boards.

Also, if you interview at LECOM-B, you are provided with a TON of info about PBL. You also sit in on a PBL session so you can see what it is like.

When I went to the interview at LECOM for Erie/Seton Hill, we were told that the student groups for PBL are changed frequently so you are not stuck with the same people all the time.

I heard the same. At Erie, the 40 PBL students are in groups of 8 and they change groups after each test (which is 6 tests per semester, I think. Someone please correct me it's NOT 6 tests per semester). Therefore, all the PBLers will interact with eachother during each semester.

Ya'll realize this was 4 years old right?

I'm kinda glad for the bump on this, As I also wanted some med student real opinions on it, I posted it on the medical school section and only got one response, I bet they are studying. So any personal input would be appreciated!

Also, if you interview at LECOM-B, you are provided with a TON of info about PBL. You also sit in on a PBL session so you can see what it is like.

I interviewed at LECOM this year on 7/16 and they said they normally do a mock PBL session but our group was too large to do this (there were about 40 of us there that day). It is too bad they did not have a videotape of a mock session for us to see. :(

BTW, I am kind of glad this thread was revived, too.

At Lecom-B you switch PBL group members each semester i.e. you will have 4 different groups of 8 during your first two years. You will have from 2 (the 1st semester) to 4 PBL tests each semester. The tests will cover anywhere from 25 to 55 chapters of material in your textbooks. To me, they were actually harder than COMLEX and very, very similar. You will switch facilitators during the middle of each semester i.e. you will have a total of 8 facilitators in your first two years. You may actually get the same one twice. It is not always the case, but basic science professors tended to facilitate more of the first year students and clinicians more of the seciond year groups when my class went through it.

Groups are typically re-divided each semester so that you have students from all quartiles. There will be some from the top of the class, the middle and the lower. They tend to be half male and half female as well. You may occassionally have some groups of 7 depending on how many students there are total in your class.

They try to set it up so that all interviewees get to see a real PBL session... unless the PBL'ers are not available due to a test or break. Sometimes they can set up a "mock" session with volunteers if no real sessions are available. They didn't do this when I interviewed years ago. I think it started during my second year.

Hope I covered the basics for you. I'm getting foggy. It's 4am here and I have 9 more hours left in a 30-hour shift:)

At Lecom-B you switch PBL group members each semester i.e. you will have 4 different groups of 8 during your first two years. You will have from 2 (the 1st semester) to 4 PBL tests each semester. The tests will cover anywhere from 25 to 55 chapters of material in your textbooks. To me, they were actually harder than COMLEX and very, very similar. You will switch facilitators during the middle of each semester i.e. you will have a total of 8 facilitators in your first two years. You may actually get the same one twice. It is not always the case, but basic science professors tended to facilitate more of the first year students and clinicians more of the seciond year groups when my class went through it.

Groups are typically re-divided each semester so that you have students from all quartiles. There will be some from the top of the class, the middle and the lower. They tend to be half male and half female as well. You may occassionally have some groups of 7 depending on how many students there are total in your class.

They try to set it up so that all interviewees get to see a real PBL session... unless the PBL'ers are not available due to a test or break. Sometimes they can set up a "mock" session with volunteers if no real sessions are available. They didn't do this when I interviewed years ago. I think it started during my second year.

Hope I covered the basics for you. I'm getting foggy. It's 4am here and I have 9 more hours left in a 30-hour shift:)

thank you for that, I hope to get an Interview at Lecom-B and then I hope they do a mock PBL session.

Can someone explain what are SBL and PBL please?

I was told by PCOM instructors that PCOM and most likely many other schools use some form of PBL. Perhaps they do not have a defined PBL curricula, but they certainly use the style in addition to lectures.