Problem Based Learning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Conceptually I understand the differences between the PBL and Lecture-Discussion Curriculums......I'd like to hear from any of you actually involved in the PBL program -are test scores close to those who are in the LDP, do you feel adequately prepared for COMLEX at end of 2nd year?
Where I'm coming from --- I'm a non-traditional returning student with extensive ER/Trauma RN experience and seem to be facing the above dilemma...
Thanks for any input.
smile.gif

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

Members don't see this ad.

Hi nursey,

I'm also a non-traditional student. I attend a school with a PBL curriculum. I'll be taking the boards this year but I heard (from an interviewee) that my school has a 100% pass rate and an average thats a standard deviation above the national mean...so I guess my predecessors probably felt pretty well prepared
smile.gif
I'll let you know in June... Hope that helps

I thought PBL was a type of sandwich???

Members don't see this ad :)
tonem (or anyone else with an opinion):

Do you find, as a non-trad student, the PBL Pathway suited for you vs. a rote memorization of facts as in Lecture?

I guess I'm just looking to pick someone's brain a bit on the subject....
smile.gif

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 01-11-2001).]

Hey Alex --what is that, Peanut Butter and Lox?????
rolleyes.gif
Try PB & J, it might taste a little better!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Be wary when one says impossible, for it most likely means that they have just never seen it or done it before..."

Nursey,
I'm a PBL student in my first year. From a non-traditional student perspective, the program offers me the opportunity to have a somewhat normal family life while going through thru medical school. Not saying that it is easy but there is a degree of flexability to your schedule. For me, learning basic sciences thru the diagnosis and treatment of patients (Even if they are only on paper) helps me retain the sometimes overwhelming amount of material that we need to learn. I feel that the program will prepare me well for the boards and perhaps more importantly for the two years of rotations after that(not to mention the rest of my career) because of its clinical nature.

PBL?

peanut butter and lard?
pilsner beer and lemons?
peanut brittle and licorice?
prime beef and lamb?
peas, beans, and limes?
pakistan, belarus, and latvia?
packard bell lousy?

ok, anyways........