problem with anatomy labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get everyones opinion about something. I am starting the gross section of our anatomy course tomorrow and something about lab just struck a nerve (pardon the pun) with me.

I am obviously a P1 if you couldn't tell from my name, and our lab is taught to us by the M1's. I feel like this putting a black mark on the med students ego right from the get go about their attitude towards pharmacy students. I have no doubt that they do know their anatomy better than we do- but we don't teach them pharmacology.

I feel like its making the statement "We have been here just as long as you all, but we're moving so much further ahead that we know enough to TEACH you the subject". Even if the M2's were the ones teaching us i would be fine with it, but just because its the M1's i think it could create some ego problems.

I was looking back on my days as a Chemistry TA in undergrad, and im fairly confident in saying that I would not go to any of them for help if i needed it. Even though i know them lacking in chemistry could mean nothing for how much they know in say English or History- but its still an ego thing- i'm not proud of it but it is there.

I'd be happy to hear anyone else's thoughts on the idea and if i should push the issue or just let it go?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just do the damn lab and not worry about the whole med vs pharm thing. It's not going to get anyone anywhere in the end. People are in pharmacy school because they want to be pharmacists, just as med students want to be doctors.

On a side note, we pharm kids walked into a lecture hall just after the DOs got out. One guy remarked, "Smells like low MCAT scores in here."

On a side note, we pharm kids walked into a lecture hall just after the DOs got out. One guy remarked, "Smells like low MCAT scores in here."

a DO said that? That's kinda funny because of the two professions, more people go to DO school because of low MCAT scores than pharmacy school...

Members don't see this ad :)
I say, don't worry about it. I go to VCU (class of 2010) and it was the same way for us... Actually, a lot of the med students there were impressed by how fast some of us learned the stuff... they understand that anatomy really isn't our focus. And, if you really want to impress them, you can learn the stuff beforehand in the atlas :).

VCU has actually changed their requirements for pre-reqs, and anatomy is no longer listed in the curriculum starting next fall. My advisor at VCU (I am still an undergrad, was just admitted ED for 2008) suggested this may be because they were having a hard time finding professors for classes like anatomy and biochemistry, so they pushed them to the undergrad requirements to fix the problem. perhaps that is why M1's are teaching. I know the undergrad anatomy professor went into the hospital, so the person teaching this semester is new. I am in one of the only lab sections that is taught by a grad student (Masters), and she doesn't go over anything in lab, so it is like a scavenger hunt trying to figure out what everything is before memorizing.

To my understanding, I really don't think it has to do with finding anatomy professors. I think they just wanted to change the curriculum so that students actually learn more clinical pharmacy while in pharmacy school. Before the class of 2012, much of the first year was filled with classes covering basic sciences that could have been covered in undergrad. So hopefully, you 'guinea pigs' will be a little more prepared when you start your rotations and after you graduate :D.