problem with OBGYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njslex16

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a third year currently on my OBGYN rotation and while I love the field of OB (focused, surgery/clinic aspect, L&D, young healthy pts, etc), I cannot stand the rotation. All the residents are so negative and critical and act as if we are not even there. They even throw each other under the bus at times.They don't go out of their way to teach and look at you like you're ******ed when you mess up (probably because you never learned in in the first place!). It's so frustrating. Did anyone else feel this way and still end up going into OB? I've managed to find a few local OBGYNs in the area that allow students to come in and shadow in an attempt to see if it really for me, so hopefully this will help. Any advice would be more than appreciated.

It may just be your program. Due to their hours it's not unusual for OB/Gyn residents to be cranky a lot, but throwing each other under the bus is not normal and may be the sign of a less than fun program. Shadow some attendings to get a better feel for it.

All I can say is that your experience is not universal. I did OB last during third year and enjoyed the rotation so much that I almost changed my mind about what I wanted to go into. But really I just loved the rotation and the residents I worked with - and the other three third year medical students enjoyed the rotation too.

Unfortunately the experience of being a medical student rotating on a specialty is very different than practicing it for the rest of your life. I feel like rotations are a horrible way to pick a specialty but for me it was really hard to ignore liking or hating a rotation even though the reasons I liked or hated a rotation had nothing to do with the practice of the specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know what is up in general with obgyn residents. I think it simply is a bunch of lonely women all hanging around each other being really tired dealing with female issues all day. The couple fellows I've worked with were pretty cool. The attendings are hit or miss but generally not jerks in my experience.

It's just the way the training is set up. Once they get out of that situation, if they are not totally scarred from the entire process they hopefully can become cooler. So if you really like OBGYN I encourage you to pursue it and change the atmosphere. Also seek out programs where you feel you fit in well.