Problems with CASPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CASPA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this year for a multiple of PA programs, and as many of you know they have now converted to the centralized system for applying. This being their first year I've experienced multiple problems. They lost a transcript, haven't returned calls, and waited 10 weeks once they received all my information before they sent it to the schools. I'm wondering if others have experienced similar problems, and if so, what have they done to hold CASPA responsible. It has evolved to the point for me where I've had to speak to the vice president of CASPA. FYI...It's amazing how fast the application can be processed once the Vice President has been contacted. I do have his name and number if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad.

caspa does have a number of problems, however as an adcom member at several pa programs I feel I have to defend them a little. they do produce a nice student summary on each applicant which is typed and arranged in a consistent fashion. it was previously very frustrating to not be able to read an applicants essay because their handwriting was atrocious. my biggest problem with caspa is their requirement that applicants submit gre scores. pa programs have existed for years without this hurdle, many granting graduate degrees. it just complicates the process for already busy students who are also often working part or full time.
keep in mind that there are several quality programs that do not participate in caspa, including duke, the best program out there.

I should clarify. The entire concept of CASPA is phenomenal. This is my 2nd year applying, and the first year I felt really limited to where I could apply. This year, I've been able to look at the entire scope of programs and only have to do the one application, unless the school requires a supplemental. CASPA has a lot of bugs, and they are needing to work through them. I know a lot of the programs are now extending their deadlines to accomodate CASPA's lack of ability to facilitate so many applicants.
As for the GRE, CASPA has us send the scores directly to the schools. A lot of programs, now that they are Masters programs, require this test. It was quite a pain to take, but I guess it's one of the hoops you have to jump through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too spent alot of time trying to sort out all of the errors and discepencies with respect to my application with CASPA. They were quickly resolved after I e-mailed the VP. All of the schools were cooperative in extending deadlines and in the end it cost a few hours of work and about a week of anxiety. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it next year, but if so I'm thinking things will run smoother.

After months of dealing with CASPA and their inability to get a few pieces of paper to five select schools I am at my wits end. :eek:

First they misplaced my application (sent Certified Mail), then states my application is pending TO THE WRONG SCHOOLS! It seems the only thing they have done correctly is cash my money order. If anyone could let me know how to contact the president or vice president of the company I would appreciate it. I have left 5 messages on the automatic voice message system that answers and written 17 e-mails to date, of which only one email has been sent back, assuring that everything would be taken care of by the programs' deadlines. My deadlines have passed but two schools are willing to wait until Jan 18th for my applications. I have been patient and understanding as I believe the concept of CASPA is a great idea. Unfortunately it is being carried out very poorly. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

I too am having multiple problems with CASPA. I arranged to have transcripts sent to meet an early deadline and was assured that the transcripts were in their possession via telephone. Several weeks later I was contacted by the early deadline school for a 2nd phase essay portion of the application process, so I thought everything was fine. Now, more than three months after the application was submitted and several more deadlines have passed, they notified my by e-mail that these transcripts were missing. I have the FedEx tracking number with signature confirmation that the transcripts were received. The manager for Liaison International (that's the company that runs CASPA) has told me over the phone that the person who signed for these transcripts does not work in her office and she will not take responsibility for losing them. Somehow it is my fault that they lost them, even though I have evidence to show that they were sent and received on time by someone at Liaison Int'l. This is my second time applying and I had similar problems with the delivery of transcripts the 1st time. FYI, the president of Liaison International is George Haddad (I do not have contact information yet). And yes, they were eager to take my money but negligent in notifying me of a problem with the application and reluctant to take any responsibility for their error. Their attitude is that if you want your application to reach the intended school, you had better work through the incompetence within their administration or you must not want to be a PA. Yes, it would be a great way to apply to multiple programs if it worked, but it seems that the employees just do not care about their service or your future.