Problems with Finding Open PGY-2 Spots in FM (or ANY PGY-2 Spot in ANY Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryMeisterMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Members!

As anyone who has been looking for PGY-2 spots in Family Medicine knows, there is NO unified place to look for these positions.:scared: In addition, many of these spots are not even advertised!:mad: There is the AAFP hotline (often not TRULY updated) AMA Find a Residency (the same) CareerMD (worthless), find a resident and open spots (be prepared to shell out $$$).:laugh:

Then there's the residency PD listerserv....good luck accessing THAT one.:smuggrin:

THEN THERE'S THIS SITE WHICH IS A GODSEND!:)

I am a second year Resident in Family Medicine who completed 21 months of Family Medicine Residency Training with credit.

I am looking for a PGY-2 SPOT IN FAMILY MEDICINE anywhere in the USA OR A PGY-1 SPOT OUTSIDE OF THE MATCH. ASIDE FROM THE LISTINGS ALREADY POSTED, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER LEADS ON THESE TYPES OF OPEN SPOTS?

I will even consider switching specialties to any one which will even consider giving me SOME credit for my prior training in FM. Are there any ideas out there on where else these spots in ANY specialty can be found?

PLEASE FEEL TO POST HERE, PM ME OR I CAN GIVE YOU MY E-MAIL ADDRESS OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION.

Thanks! Sincerely,
JerryMeisterMD

Members don't see this ad.

I sent you a private message - look at the top-right corner of the site.

Heya,

JerryMeister, I feel your pain. I'm kinda in the same boat. I fininshed a Preliminary year in IM (12 months + Continuity Clinic which I hear is an asset for someone doing a preliminary spot in IM) and I've been scrambling for a position for over 2 years now! At first I was determined to only apply to PGY-2 IM spots because technically that's my training level (my certificate of completion of Pgy-1 year says it all). But because of the limited number of spots (READ: SLIM PICKINGS) even though I interviewed at some places I never got a position (likely my board scores had something to do with that - although I have passed Step 1, 2, and 3)! I then expanded my search to include IM PGY-1 spots ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY (both outside of the match and also through ERAS) but nothing doing there, either! I've now expanded to Family Medicine both PGY-1 and PGY-2 but so far that has been uneventful too (besides I just want to do Primary Medicine or Hospitalist and either FP or IM will suffice)! Everyone seems to think that it's supereasy to transfer from IM to FP (like in my case I should have no problem starting as a FP pgy-2 because I finished a IM pgy-1) but that doesn't seem to be the case because no one in the FP world gets back to me (I think it has to do with deliveries and ped rotations which IM doesn't do)! I seem to be up ****creek without a paddle now! My last last quasi- patient contact was in September 2009 when I did a 1 month fulltime Observership in Internal Medicine (which I have a letter to show for) - I was hoping wishing and wanting for that program to invite me for an interview for the 2010 match season but sadly they didn't (so much for courtesy interview, right?). What's a junior doc go to do to get an interview these days! Writing on this forum, I hope! ;) Anyways, with more and more time outside of residency my chances of getting back in seem to be low lower and lowest... I haven't stopped trying though. With very little outside of the match spots it's just harder!

ps I applied to both of those FP pgy2 positions posted on this forum last week. So far no response. I just need one break to move forward...