Problems with Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Pretty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have about 30 hours of shadowing 3 different dentists, but I'm unable to get in touch with them this summer so I decided to find another office to shadow.

Problem is, I've called about 20 non-profit dental clinincs and private offices and they've either taken my number and haven't called back or don't allow students to do any shadowing experience anymore. Has any else had this problem? I really don't even know what to do at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep trying, I was turned down a handful of times before I hit the jackpot with a really nice Dentist, that let me come in whenever and had my LOR submitted a couple days after I asked him for it. Just keep trying.

Yeah, not every place will call you back. So what I did is call them back a second time. or you could see if the dentist has an email and contact them directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep calling more at random.

I wouldn't call back. They don't want you there and you are kind of making it awkward and forcing yourself in there. If he does not want you there and you force yourself to make him say yes... it is going to be awkward when you shadow.

Also how did you only do 30 hrs at 3 dentists? I would have done like 20 hrs at each office. Depending on how many hours total you need. You could have most of your hours done at those 3 dentists.

Best way is it to go to office, they rarely say no if u go into the office.

So what is the best way to try and get a chance at shadowing and a good LOR? I have yet to shadow (I'm a freshman) and am looking for some ideas. I was thinking maybe sending out letters....?

A novel approach might be to see your regular dentist. You know, the one you visit twice a year.

So what is the best way to try and get a chance at shadowing and a good LOR? I have yet to shadow (I'm a freshman) and am looking for some ideas. I was thinking maybe sending out letters....?

That is a good Idea, just explain who you are, where you go to school to, why you want to go into dentistry, etc. and have the receptionist hand it to the dentist. The Dentist I shadowed had me fax him something similar. I included my phone # and he called me a few days later. :thumbup:

This is unrelated but....

Do dental schools look for a LoR from a dentist that you've shadowed? How important is that? I'm asking because I wasn't planning on spending more than 20 hours with any dentist, and don't believe that 20 hours is long enough for them to write me a decent/truly evaluative letter.

I currently have about 30 hours of shadowing 3 different dentists, but I'm unable to get in touch with them this summer so I decided to find another office to shadow.

Problem is, I've called about 20 non-profit dental clinincs and private offices and they've either taken my number and haven't called back or don't allow students to do any shadowing experience anymore. Has any else had this problem? I really don't even know what to do at this point.

Google up your city dentists and call all of them. Then do it with the next city. You have nothing to lose. Call everyone!