RRC Minimum Requirements for EM Residency:
Adult Medical Resuscitation - 45
Adult Trauma Resuscitation - 35
Cardiac Pacing - 6
Central Venous Access - 20
Chest Tubes - 10
Cricothyrotomy - 3
Dislocation Reduction - 10
ED Bedside Ultrasound - 150
Intubations - 30
Lumbar Puncture - 15
Pediatric Medical Resuscitation - 15
Pediatric Trauma Resuscitation - 10
Pericardiocentesis - 3
Procedural Sedation - 15
Vaginal Delivery - 10
Keep in mind, these are bare minimums. Most EM residents who graduate have done hundreds of many procedures listed above. For instance, I probably had done hundreds of lines and intubations and well over 1000 US scans alone along with countless medical/trauma resuscitations and fracture/dislocation reductions upon completion of residency. FM doesn't even have any procedure requirements at all for graduation. Certainly, most FM docs have never performed many of the procedures listed.
As already mentioned, FM (and most any other specialty for that matter...) can easily handle 90% of what I do all day long. I might do it with more speed and finesse but hey...I do 100% EM, so that's expected. It's the 10% that gets you in trouble. What you call a "cardiac arrest" that you pronounced after 10 mins of coding....I call a "save" because I identified a pericardial tamponade on cardiac US at the bedside and I decompressed it immediately with a spinal needle, resuscitated the pt, called CT surgery for an emergent pericardial window and admitted the pt to the ICU. You think I'm joking, but stuff like this happens all he time in the real world. The same goes for a trauma patient. There's no time to call GS to come bail you out as you're struggling with chest tubes and no time to call anesthesia to bail you out of your failed intubation on a trauma pt in a c-collar with a bloody airway.
Now, can FM pick up a lot, if not all of the skills mentioned above with enough time and experience? Of course. Experience is everything. The more you are exposed to and learn from, the better you become. That's the nature of life....and that's why I'd be proud to work with some of my experienced FM colleagues in just about any EM environment. Some of my partners have been doing this for 20 and 30 years and we both bring certain strengths to the table. However, it's always best for patients when you get the training you need during residency and not afterwards when the stakes are high.
Why does it have to be insulting to FM or IM to admit that we are better in the ER....where we were trained to excel at? I wouldn't know where to begin managing clinic patients or all the obstetric complications and subtleties. I'd be lost managing many chronic medical illnesses and have the utmost respect for IM and FM who are responsible for managing such a large breadth of pathology and are expert diagnosticians.