Procedure heavy IM subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cornfed101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found out I matched IM today and I’m pretty devastated. I thought posting to SDN would feel better than stewing. I loved anesthesia but unfortunately didn’t match. I don’t love rounding, long term patient relationships, or charting… are there ways to minimize those things after training? Or fellowships that allow that? I know cardiology and GI can be more procedure heavy which I could see myself enjoying. I’m going to an HCA residency so I’m sure that shuts a few doors with more competitive fellowships

Members don't see this ad.

Are you at a FL HCA IM program or non-FL HCA program?

Be open to critical care or better yet, pulmonary and critical care. IMO it's the coolest and most bad ass field. I'm biased since I'm PGY3 and going into PCCM next year.

It's okay to be bummed today. But dont let it bring you down too much. SO many doors can be opened with IM. Cards and GI are dope too. Procedures in PCCM are fun. They're high stakes and offer instant benefit often for patients (central access in a crashing patient, intubating a patient peri arrest, bronchoscopy and EBUS for cancer diagnostics). It's a dope field.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you at a FL HCA IM program or non-FL HCA program?

Be open to critical care or better yet, pulmonary and critical care. IMO it's the coolest and most bad ass field. I'm biased since I'm PGY3 and going into PCCM next year.

It's okay to be bummed today. But dont let it bring you down too much. SO many doors can be opened with IM. Cards and GI are dope too. Procedures in PCCM are fun. They're high stakes and offer instant benefit often for patients (central access in a crashing patient, intubating a patient peri arrest, bronchoscopy and EBUS for cancer diagnostics). It's a dope field.
Not in Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
Found out I matched IM today and I’m pretty devastated. I thought posting to SDN would feel better than stewing. I loved anesthesia but unfortunately didn’t match. I don’t love rounding, long term patient relationships, or charting… are there ways to minimize those things after training? Or fellowships that allow that? I know cardiology and GI can be more procedure heavy which I could see myself enjoying. I’m going to an HCA residency so I’m sure that shuts a few doors with more competitive fellowships
Cardiology and to a somewhat lesser extent GI both have long term patient relationships.

Critical care is about the only IM subspeciality that doesn't, though the pulm part definitely will. Decent procedures there to my understanding.

Cardiology and to a somewhat lesser extent GI both have long term patient relationships.
I can probably get over this. It’s not a deal breaker. I’m just pretty introverted and small talk isn’t my favorite

Critical care is about the only IM subspeciality that doesn't, though the pulm part definitely will. Decent procedures there to my understanding.
Definitely in PCCM. Intubating, central lines (us guided and blind occasionally), arterial lines, paracentesis, thoracentesis, chest tubes and management, cordis lines for transvenous pacers. You run codes and you're the doctor who people call when no one knows what's going on and the patient is acutely dying. It's a great field for so many reasons and if you like procedures and working with your hands as well as cerebral puzzle solving then it's amazing.

I definitely have classmates that went into pccm because they didn’t wanna talk to patients. You still have to round though but for me it’s less painful than IM rounds.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, you didnt match, and I'm not up to date with all of the matching nuance now. Is it not possible to apply for a PGY 2 anesthesia spot? Secondly, many Uni Affiliate programs are quite good. One of our local affiliates has all modalities at their level 1 center including transplants. Good luck and best wishes. In the famous words of Yogi Berra, It Ain't Over Till It's Over.

Oh man... I'm sorry :( The anesthesiology match this year was nuts! What do you think about interventional cardio? GI with EGDs, MRCPs etc.?

Oh man... I'm sorry :( The anesthesiology match this year was nuts! What do you think about interventional cardio? GI with EGDs, MRCPs etc.?
Yeah I’m realizing there are lots of options. I’ll be ok. My program is a community HCA program so I’ll have to have a miracle to match into some fellowships, but I’ll shoot my shot

Yeah I’m realizing there are lots of options. I’ll be ok. My program is a community HCA program so I’ll have to have a miracle to match into some fellowships, but I’ll shoot my shot
While they may not be the most prestigious, HCA has a ton of fellowships in their system. You may be able to backdoor through that.

Since you matched to an HCA program try and utilize that to get into one of their fellowships, there are more than a few. Interventional cards, GI, or PCCM would be where I would go for procedures