Procedures In-office vs ASC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bimmer79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I wanted to gather some info from you all in regards to differences in performing interventional pain procedures in-office vs ASC. I have only performed them in hospitals and ASCs. We are going to build a procedure suite in office and I wanted to find out how it differs. It appears that the standards are stricter in ASC/Hospital settings.
For the office, do I need an RN or just MA? Do you do pregnancy tests, blood glucose testing, etc? What is your set-up? Thanks you for your insight guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys and gals, I wanted to gather some info from you all in regards to differences in performing interventional pain procedures in-office vs ASC. I have only performed them in hospitals and ASCs. We are going to build a procedure suite in office and I wanted to find out how it differs. It appears that the standards are stricter in ASC/Hospital settings.
For the office, do I need an RN or just MA? Do you do pregnancy tests, blood glucose testing, etc? What is your set-up? Thanks you for your insight guys!
um... trying not to be critical, but drusso, this is why some doctors shouldn't be doing procedures in office.....

Members don't see this ad :)

Why would you NOT need UPTs and blood glucose testing??? that makes no sense. just because ur doing it in the office doesn't clear you from taking care of the patient differently.

for the longest time, the location where I did my spinal injections (HOPD) did not have a blood glucose monitor. I had to submit to the hospital purchasing committee to buy one. I was not allowed to go to the local pharmacy or Amazon to buy one to use. Ridiculous.

I think maybe the OP confusion is blood glucose testing for in office for peripheral joint injections isn't usually done.

As far as pregnancy, get the the test or get the waiver signed. No point in taking a risk with xray and a potential oops fetus. Nurses I believe are standard of care.

for the longest time, the location where I did my spinal injections (HOPD) did not have a blood glucose monitor. I had to submit to the hospital purchasing committee to buy one. I was not allowed to go to the local pharmacy or Amazon to buy one to use. Ridiculous.

I think maybe the OP confusion is blood glucose testing for in office for peripheral joint injections isn't usually done.

As far as pregnancy, get the the test or get the waiver signed. No point in taking a risk with xray and a potential oops fetus. Nurses I believe are standard of care.

Waiver? U think that’s enough ?

We do the waiver only.
We have the UPT + “logbook” for compliance with the AAAHC inspections.
The last 3 inspectors wanted to see the tests/expiration dates & the log, but none of them cared that we never did a UPT.

Some states require accreditation of office procedure suites and some do not, therefore this will be the greatest determining factor in many aspects of an office procedure suite including the construction. Some states only require accreditation if you give more than conscious sedation. Evaluating state laws regarding accreditation should be the first step before construction is started. Secondly, the location of your x-ray equipment relative to adjacent waiting rooms is important in some states and may include examination of whether there is exposure above or below your procedure suite. Again, this needs to be evaluated prior to construction. Finally, specific personnel may be determined by accrediting agency or level of care rendered. For instance if your patients are being given IV sedation it is a good idea (or requirement) to have an RN. If not, you may not need a RN, but it also depends on how complex the procedures are in your office. We did not do urine pregnancy tests in the office but had female patients sign a consent form stating they are not pregnant nor had any possibility of pregnancy.

Reactions: 1 user

Why would you NOT need UPTs and blood glucose testing??? that makes no sense. just because ur doing it in the office doesn't clear you from taking care of the patient differently.

Good question. You would be surprised that at a local hospital they don't do UPT; they just ask about LMP. Also, at a major academic hospital that my brother works in, they don't do pre-procedural blood glucose. There's such a diverse setup everywhere you go. That's why I'm surveying to learn what others are doing as there seems to be no strict standard.